PDA

View Full Version : Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb

Disgirl
02-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi SD members! Today is the day I finally get my discus cones posted for you all to look at and maybe order from me. They are my own design, each one made by hand in my pottery studio. The glazes are my own recipes, made by me using powdered substances from the earth. Each cone is unique, no two will ever be exactly the same. My glazes are food safe, the same ones I use for coffee mugs, bowls and plates. Since discus lay eggs on aquarium glass I feel sure they will lay on a smooth glazed surface. The swirled clay (known as Agateware or Marbled) is made by me combining two colors of clay. The cones are fired once or twice (for glazed) to over 2000 degrees in my kiln. The firing process takes about 18 hr. start to finish. I can fire 14 cones at a time.

The cones are 9" tall, no holes at the top, and are all hollow. They weigh between 1 and 1 1/4 lb. each. I will make shorter or taller cones upon request and can put air holes in the top if requested. I can make without the bottom lip also. My prices are very reasonable, I would rather sell a lot for less $$ than fewer for more $$.

Cone with no lip, plain or terra cotta.....$12
Plain terra cotta cone with lip.....$14
Swirled cone with lip.....$14
Glazed cone, top 1/4-1/3 of cone glazed.....$18
Cone completely glazed, takes a lot of glaze.....$24
Shipping will be extra, will use FedEx or USPS flat rate box. 1-3 USPS, 4 or more FedEx.

I plan to take orders, make what people request, then I will bill you using PayPal. Shipment will follow. If a person prefers to mail payment then I will take money orders. Please contact me here by PM or reply to this thread. I will send you a PM to acknowledge your order within a day of receiving it and let you know where you are on my list.

Here are my glaze colors to choose from if you want glaze.
Shiny White, Shiny Med. Green, Shiny Dark Pink, Shiny Turquoise, Shiny Blue (the one in the picture of the discus looking at it in my tank), Shiny Brown with green specks, Matt Beige, Matt Gold. Also have a dark purple, dark green and black. I like to drip one glaze over another to give a very unique and artsy look, all will be very different. Or I can use just one color which looks great too. I love lots of color on my pottery but can make it plain too.

Thanks for all the encouragement I have received here and I am looking forward to hearing from you and making some cones for your discus to lay their eggs on! Also in the works, my discus wall art done in clay. Will post pics when they are finished.
Barb:)

blkrob
02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Congrats Barb! They look fantastic.

BOBT00LS
02-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I am impressed Barb. You have taken a boring discus breeding staple and livened it up, making it more pleasing to the eye and overall look of a discus tank. Good Luck Barb ! I wish you well.

Bob

amunoz7
02-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Is the last picture the swirled cone? And how much to ship to 75002?

Chad Hughes
02-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Barb,

I love these! Designer spawning cones! Genious!

I'll be placing an order for 9 of them when you are ready!

Great work!

Best wishes!

philip69285
02-18-2010, 02:33 PM
woot love the swirls :)

William Palumbo
02-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Congrats Barb! I know how rewarding it can be, turning a passion into a small side job. Is a great feeling when creativity can pay off!. All the best with the sales...Bill

Cooldadddyfunk286
02-18-2010, 02:50 PM
wow, those are SWEET Barb! I love the drip effect on the top, thats great! the swirls are nice too, very cool! :D:D

best of luck with your sales Barb! :)

take care.

Discus-n00b
02-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Wow, impressed. Those look great... Better the great actually. And now I know where to send people to buy them. Finally a good source for cones. I really really like the drip effect down the cone that's awesome. I'll be contacting you soon!

David Rose
02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Love the swirl Barb! PM sent...thanks so much for your creative spin!

mlov1022
02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
I want one. :)

Justice
02-18-2010, 03:31 PM
I really like the swirled ones too

Eddie
02-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Been waiting for these! They look great Barb! I really like the swirl cones alot. I definitely want to pick a few up ASAP. I'll shoot you a pm. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

underwaterforest
02-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Lovely designs, I like the swirl one also. Wonderful ambition to go from idea to product in a week, I'm sure you will make a good business from this site.

Disgirl
02-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Big thanks to all of you who have sent good wishes and compliments my way today! I will PM everyone who sent me PMs today. Please see my new thread below about my shipping problem. I hope I have solved it. Now I am off to PM and then do my evening wc.

Disgirl
02-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Here are a few more pics of what the glaze colors look like closer up. I have most colors of the rainbow and can get more colors if I don't have what you want.

Discus-Hans
02-18-2010, 11:50 PM
LOOKS NICEEEEEEEEEEEE love the colored ones but be careful, don't make them to dark because than the fry won't get off the cone (dark) to go to the parents.

I would use more pastel colors.

Barb, I buy boxes for shipping my cones from http://www.uline.com/ they have all sizes.

If you want/need I can help you with a FedEx account, maybe you can work something out with good/better rates,

Hans

Disgirl
02-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks Hans! I will remember that about the dark colors. I appreciate your help for sure!

David Rose
02-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Great recommendations Hans! Uline is definitely popular with business supplies for having some of the best pricing if the free USPS boxes don't work out.

alpine
02-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Like them . Like the last one the best , very nice . The lip size is great . Best luck with your enterprise.

Roberto.

Disgirl
02-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Eddie and David, here are photos of the cones I will be mailing to you both this coming Monday, March 1. You were the first two to order cones from me and yours are first to go out. All the rest will soon follow. Eddie's are with no lip, to travel all the way to Okinawa easier in the allowed box. David's are the lip ones :D. Thanks to everyone who has ordered from me!
Barb:):):)

Jason K.
02-26-2010, 07:09 PM
just saw this thread. what a great idea, isn't it going to be awsome to see your cones in future threads. all the best with the sales, maybe if i can get some spawning action from my fish in the future i'll get a few myself.:)

Eddie
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
FANTASTIC BARB!!! I love them!

PAYPAL worked like a charm! Money was sent 2 seconds ago!

Thank you so much and can't wait to get some discus model photos for the cones! LOL I'll try to get the wrigglers to pose for the pictures. :D

Take care,

Eddie

Disgirl
02-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks Jay and Eddie! I can hardly wait to see someone's wrigglers on one of my cones. That will be a big day for me. I am busy at work making the ones people have ordered.
Barb:D

htruong
02-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Barb,

Look awesome. I want 5. Will send you PM.

-Hoang

jrodriguez
10-23-2010, 03:39 AM
hey barb do u still make the cones? if u do i would like 2 of brown and white with the lip shipped to 32708 fl.how much for the shipping? thanks :)

Disgirl
10-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Yes, I sure do! I am sending you a private message now about it all. In the meantime, anyone else wondering can just click on the blue writing just below in my signature here :).
Barb

discusdaves
03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Very cool, i like your work! very creative.

Disgirl
03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks Dave, I have a new batch of cones almost ready to go, they are in the kiln right now.
Barb