PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want clay Pleco caves?

Disgirl
02-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Just wondering if there is interest in clay Pleco caves? And if yes, what sizes would you want? Glazed, unglazed? Several sizes to choose from? I enjoy working with clay so am looking for ideas here! Thanks for your input.
Barb:)

Wahter
02-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Just wondering if there is interest in clay Pleco caves? And if yes, what sizes would you want? Glazed, unglazed? Several sizes to choose from? I enjoy working with clay so am looking for ideas here! Thanks for your input.

Here are some ideas:

http://plecocaves.com/Caves.htm

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :D:D:D

Walter

rickztahone
02-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Here are some ideas:

http://plecocaves.com/Caves.htm

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :D:D:D

Walter
that is quite an extensive list.

yim11
02-21-2010, 01:19 AM

I'd be interested in 1 or 2 (I only have 1 breeding pair of ABN right now), they use a cave from Ken currently but its round so doesn't work well in the BB tank.

The link Walter gave is really good and shows the most common designs that I've seen or owned. Round and long, and something square or w/a flat bottom for us BB tank guys and you pretty much got it covered. ;)

Never seen a smooth surface pleco cave, closest to that would be the caves made from slate, so you may be able to save on the glaze with this product offering. :D

HTHs,
-jim

Disgirl
02-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the info Walter and Jim. Would it be best to make them without a bottom and the fish would spawn on the BB of the tank? Or should they have a bottom of clay too? 1-1 1/2" holes? Bigger? I can really make any size or shape. I guess without glaze would be best then? I have several colors of clay, Terra Cotta, Brown, Tan, White, and swirled. Thank you again!

Disgirl
02-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I made a group of them today and will post pics in a week or so when they are all finished. They are fun for me to make and each one is very different.

Disgirl
02-25-2010, 09:24 AM
I just took them out of my kiln and will post some pics later today or first thing tomorrow. They came out really well I think. If I was a Pleco I would like them for sure!

whitedevil
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
DIS,

I know from pottery class back like 20 years ago we made caves, I never tried forming them in other shapes then bowls.

can you as a clay artist make one that is chambered? like maybe 2-3 caves connected by a clay tube?

I am not then handy with clay and baking them, wife doesnt like it when I attempt to work with the stuff. Can one of these be made? Unglazed preferablly so I can adhere my substrate to the clay caves and camoflauge it into the substrate.

if not cool just trying to get a custom piece, bowl caves dont do it for me.