PDA

View Full Version : Less costly lighting option

henpecked
02-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Here is my dilemma,

I have a 75g Discus show tank. It has a 34W single strip light bar. I really only want to double that wattage to show the blue colors better. I know Ineed a two strip fluo, but they are hard to find used, and expensive new.

I know how creative people are in this hobby, has anyone found a better alternative than the standard two strip light bar to increase wattage cheaply:confused:

KEWX
02-21-2010, 08:16 PM
How about
Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X28 Watt, 48 inch
Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days
Our Price: $60.50 In Stock!

The Coralife Aqualight T5 aquarium lighting fixtures are recommended for use with fish only tanks.

Features:

One 28 watt 10K and one 28 watt True Actinic T5 fluorescent lamp
46.25" L X 3.5" W X 1" H
One on/off switch and built-in ballast
Sleek black aluminum housing
Highly-polished reflector
Acrylic lens cover
Adjustable width tank mounts (legs to lift the light off the tank)

http://www.marineandreef.com/Coralife_Aqualight_T5_Aquarium_Lighting_T5_Light_s/293.htm

Other retail online heave the same for freshwater or you can get them bulbs just for freshwater.

mkv
02-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Go to hellolights.com
Can't beat their price specially if you are a DIY type

Eddie
02-21-2010, 09:42 PM
How about
Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X28 Watt, 48 inch
Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days
Our Price: $60.50 In Stock!

The Coralife Aqualight T5 aquarium lighting fixtures are recommended for use with fish only tanks.

Features:

One 28 watt 10K and one 28 watt True Actinic T5 fluorescent lamp
46.25" L X 3.5" W X 1" H
One on/off switch and built-in ballast
Sleek black aluminum housing
Highly-polished reflector
Acrylic lens cover
Adjustable width tank mounts (legs to lift the light off the tank)

http://www.marineandreef.com/Coralife_Aqualight_T5_Aquarium_Lighting_T5_Light_s/293.htm

Other retail online heave the same for freshwater or you can get them bulbs just for freshwater.

I have this fixture and LOVE it. One of the bulbs is colormax bulb and it makes the fishes colors stand out like CRAZY!

Eddie

roundfishross
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Here is my dilemma,

I have a 75g Discus show tank. It has a 34W single strip light bar. I really only want to double that wattage to show the blue colors better. I know Ineed a two strip fluo, but they are hard to find used, and expensive new.

I know how creative people are in this hobby, has anyone found a better alternative than the standard two strip light bar to increase wattage cheaply:confused:

ths is pretty hard to beat

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/sun-blaze-54w-4ft-t5-fluorescent-strip-light-p-2062.html

henpecked
02-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Wow! Thanks for the great responses! I didn't expect so many options.
I love this forum, It's been extremely helpful to a Discus novice like myself.

PS: Two of my fish have paired up and laid their first eggs. Ate the first batch, but I'm still optimistic.:D