PDA

View Full Version : Discus Breeding Cones DIY

KEWX
02-21-2010, 10:32 PM
In a discussion about where to find discus breeding cones, someone mentioned a DIY idea. It sounded like a good idea, so I built one for under $10. A little Dremel tool work, silicone to secure the flower pots and a rim for a lip and it looks pretty good. It's not as beautiful as the glazed ones but I guest it will work. My discus are still a little young but I hope to give it a try this spring or summer. I'll try to add some pictures. Ken

Disgirl
02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
That is very creative!!
Barb:)

KEWX
02-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Has anybody else tried this?

rickztahone
02-23-2010, 02:42 AM
that's pretty cool and i do not see anything wrong with it besides all the ridges. if it was a bit smoother it would be better IMO but then again i know nothing of breeding so take my advise with a grain of salt my friend.

blueeyes
02-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Hi Guys heres one i made a while back just different size pots siliconed together cost about £1.50 each cheers Jim

gills
02-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Even though I don't have discus currently. I have played with them since 1986. I us to use what was called a rose pot. Basically a clay pot that was longer and came down to a cone shape. Some garden centers had them and places like A.C. Moore for decorating. They had them for silk flower stuff. I would think someone still makes them. Cost is like $2. I like the ones Barb made. They look nice.

dalejordan
02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Here's something I've used for 30 years. A simple Tupperware ( or whatever brand ) dried spaghetti holder :-) You can find these in Dollar stores, Target, Wal-Mart etc. It's foodsafe plastic and does not hold crud and algae in the pours like ceramics. I fill it with gravel ( whatever you like ) and sit it on the bottom. They are also very inexpensive :-)

Just a thought !!!

KEWX
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Very nice! Good ideas from all! THANKS!

sherry123
02-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Gonna try the food safe tuperware! thanks :) Dollar store here I come (or Walmart!)ok..so i'm jumping the gun, I don't have a pair yet lol

ockyra215
02-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I used to use clay flower pots or pvc pipe siliconed to a piece of glass was another favorite,to each his own IMO:bandana:

bluedimond123
03-27-2010, 02:08 AM
I have a pair in a community tank that always breed on a pleco cave. Yours is very cool an creative!

nc0gnet0
04-10-2010, 12:12 AM
I was contenplating making some breeding surfaces out of slate tile? Is there any reason why the shape has to be that of a cone?

Ed13
04-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I was gonna order some cones but, I have a lot of tiles left from some projects. Guess I'm going to try a somple A frame design first.

Some are glazed though, anybody has an opinion about this?:confused:

Here's something I've used for 30 years. A simple Tupperware ( or whatever brand ) dried spaghetti holder :-) You can find these in Dollar stores, Target, Wal-Mart etc. It's foodsafe plastic and does not hold crud and algae in the pours like ceramics. I fill it with gravel ( whatever you like ) and sit it on the bottom. They are also very inexpensive :-)

Just a thought !!!
I saw a glimpse of them in some of your previos pics and was gonna ask what in the world it was, turns out it's experience discus keeping being manifested;)

nc0gnet0
04-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I would test the tiles first and make sure they don't alter the PH....Not sure about the glazing....slate is a natural stone and doesn't effect the PH. Years ago it was used in fish tanks for the bottom.

Northwoods Discus
04-14-2010, 10:12 AM
I am a relative newbie on discus breeding but it seems that they will select just about anything. I have had them spawn on the glass and have had wigglers there. They have also used driftwood, rocks, clay pots, sponge filter up tubes, and filter intake tubes. Right now I have a pair in a breeding tank with a spawn on a 3 inch piece of PVC that I cut one end at 40 degrees and one at 50 degrees, adds up to 90 and long enough to fit across my 29 gal. They spawned on the bottom side though. Will see if the wigglers can hang on. Barbs swirl cones sure look cool though and plan to get some of those. I love the innovation that people come up with.

discusmoose
10-06-2010, 04:39 AM
tough fnding clay pots here in SC.
My father used slate back in the 50's and 60's( yes in metal frame ,slate bottom tanks, he was a early angelfish and discus breeder)
I have had luck with clay bricks even, I dont think they are that particular. Id love the cones, but $22 a piece (Id need 10) and shipping is just too much for something I can substitute cheap.
I am using some of my Dads original slates (3), 4 have red bricks, one pair (marlboros) like a piece of tinted glass,, I has a pot , and the last pr has a piece of clay pipe, all are succsessful, (heck I have a pr of koi angels that sawned the first time on the heater tube !
Doc "B":fried:

jrodriguez
10-23-2010, 03:19 AM
I think the cones are better for good reasons, wide at the bottom and then thins out on the top helps keep the eggs in a cluster.also by the eggs being closer together the male can do his thing right! I like the ones with the catch pan on the bottom.plus it looks cool. lol

roclement
10-23-2010, 10:11 AM
My understanding of cones or any other breeding apparatus for that matter is that you want to give your fish an optimal surface so they breed where you want, not were they want, like a heater or a filter intake.

Cones are a design adapted to discus from other fish like angels and works well since discus do long passes and need a large area to lay their clutch, on a wide cone, it becomes easier for the male to cover the eggs (in theory).

Also the cones work well for artificial rearing, the parents would lay egg, cover them, and then you can move the cone and clutch to another vessel for rearing. They are self standing unlike slate, easy to clean, and I must say, I like the look in my tanks as well! :)

First cone I ever saw was a flower pot used in cemeteries to place in graves, they are used upside down, are long to hold the stems, and have no hole in the botton to capture any water.

I am a fan of barbs duo color cones!

Rodrigo

Justice
11-20-2010, 09:41 PM
I would love to get my paws of some lava lamp globes before the wax and liquid was put in them, i have always thought they would look cool as a spawning cone with marbles or colored crystals in them.

gwrace
02-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Just a thought !!!

I could not locate any of these in our local dollar stores but managed to pick up a set of three on Amazon. The discus love them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00354XMKS/ref=oss_product

moon_knight1971
02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Even though I don't have discus currently. I have played with them since 1986. I us to use what was called a rose pot. Basically a clay pot that was longer and came down to a cone shape. Some garden centers had them and places like A.C. Moore for decorating. They had them for silk flower stuff. I would think someone still makes them. Cost is like $2. I like the ones Barb made. They look nice.

a rose cone is a great and cheap idea. Any cemetary flower shop should have them

Pardal
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I use so many things in the past, tapered wine bottles, plastic funnels, clay pots. and PVC pipes. but for some reason .I was never satisfy with the aesthetics. I do like Barbs two tones Peach and Creams..)

Julian.

Disgirl
03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks Julian! And I can't tell you how pleased I was when they mailed safely all the way from North Carolina to Hawaii unbroken!
Barb:)

Sean Buehrle
04-15-2011, 11:27 PM
thats pretty sweet, ill hafta remember that.

EricBarth
07-28-2013, 01:44 AM
I am interested in buying a cone for a breeding tank. Where can I view them and buy them? My email is ericleebarth@ gmail . com