PDA

View Full Version : Red and Yellow Discus.

babydragon
02-23-2010, 02:03 AM
Hello.

As some of you know, I'm putting off discus keeping for awhile until I get my nice 55g. However, that has not stopped me from doing research into the kind of fish I want, and how to take care of them.

I find RED and YELLOW discus (specifically the solid ones [a little embellishments being appreciated as well]) very attractive, as, I'm sure, do a lot of you guys. My question is regarding what defines the different types.

Breeds like the Red melon, malboro and fire red. Golden, sunset(not sure if this one is even real).

I was hoping to start a thread with some real comparisons. Sure, the thread for beginners about strains is nice and filled with pictures and names, but I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference between some. I would like some help on this. For me, and every other red/yellow lover out there. Heh.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan.

samuelkl
02-23-2010, 03:26 AM
hey bryan,

have you checked out the picture gallery? also some of the sponsors have great pics of fish, ie kenny's discus. the discus university section also has numerous photos of many different strains of domestic discus. also you can check out the "straight from the source: the amazon" section to look for wild discus that might appeal to you. let me warn you tho, some of the more redder varieties of wilds are VERY expensive

samuelkl
02-23-2010, 03:27 AM
some domestic reds/golds that might appeal to you: san merahs, red covers, albino red gold diamonds.