PDA

View Full Version : fish/gallon

deepflyball
03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I have read on here about the 10 gal per fish rule. So what do most people do. I have a 110 gal and a 75 gall,do water changes 50% per day. I Have 8 4inchers in the 110 and 6 4 inchers in the 75. My tanks are discus only tanks.I am looking for as many as fish as pos. But wont them all to reach there full size and color. Thoughts Jerry

Chad Hughes
03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Depends on filtration IMO. If you are moderately filtered, 12 in the 110 and 8 in the 75. Over filtered, you could do a couple more in each. Feeding regime matters as well. If you are power feeding, no amount of filtration will keep up with that. You have to change water. Light to moderate feedings with moderate to over filtered tanks can work quite well when pushing the limit on tank population.

Best wishes!

mjs020294
03-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I have read on here about the 10 gal per fish rule.

Its a guideline but many things effect stocking levels.

This site has a decent stocking calculator that tells you your filtration requirements etc. IMO if you keep the filter rate at 150% you should be OK stocking to 125-130% based on their calculations.

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName

keno
03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
It all depends on the amout of filtration and water changing habits. I have always been way over the 10g/discus rule, but I always run loads of filtration and do many water changes.

You are doing 50% a day water changes, when the fish are fully grown and you arent feeding them that much, will you still be doing 50% a day? if so then you can have many more discus in there with enough filtration to handle the bio load.

If your only doing 1 water change a week then I would say to stick with the 10g/discus rule, there really is no set answer, only general guidlines to follow.

exv152
03-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Agreed, many other things affect the stocking levels such as decor, plants etc. But I would say anywhere form 8-10 gallons/discus.

Scribbles
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Agreed. It all depends on filtration, wc, other occupants, and if the tank is bb or planted. Some people will disagree with me but I also take into account the aggresion factor. If you are slightly understocked and everyone gets along then leave well enough alone. It helps to keep the stress down.

Chris