PDA

View Full Version : Good bacteria

dbfzurowski
03-05-2010, 12:37 AM
I was wondering what can kill the beneficial bacteria besides lack of oxygen/no food.
Reason i'm asking is because i wish to take an established sponge filter from a 7.6ph tank into a 6.8, from 86* to 80* and was wondering if the water change can kill the bacteria?

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Most likely not kill them, but rather possibly put them into a state of shock. It is possible it may take a solid week or two for them to be operating at their normal level again. Then again, it may not....lots of variables.

-Ryan

rickztahone
03-05-2010, 01:01 AM
I was wondering what can kill the beneficial bacteria besides lack of oxygen/no food.
Reason i'm asking is because i wish to take an established sponge filter from a 7.6ph tank into a 6.8, from 86* to 80* and was wondering if the water change can kill the bacteria?

just lower your temp from 86 to 84 in a couple of days and raise the 80 to 82 in the same two days. as far as pH, they should be able to adapt like Ryan said

dbfzurowski
03-05-2010, 01:54 AM
thx guys,

also i know some people just shoot tap water into tank and add prime, would the chlorine kill the bacteria before the prime dissolves it?

rickztahone
03-05-2010, 03:47 AM
thx guys,

also i know some people just shoot tap water into tank and add prime, would the chlorine kill the bacteria before the prime dissolves it?

i pre-mix my tap with prime but i know many on here just add the prime first (some with the discus on their sides) and just add the water second. if you add the untreated water first then you might kill off some of the bacteria.

dbfzurowski
03-05-2010, 10:51 AM
thats what i was thinking, thanks