PDA

View Full Version : Substrate heaters

Frankr409
03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Hello all.

I have been gone for 5 years. Lost my tank in a nasty divorce and it has taken some time to get things back together.

I sourced a 150 gallon tank recently, and will be putting things together.

I am wondering if any of you are using substrate heaters in a tank this size, and if you are, how many of them did you end up using? I don't mind having to use multiples of them.

If you are using them, and feel that they are a waste of $$$ that would be nice to know as well.

I was able to grow some awesome plants in the "Lost" aquarium, and never used anything like it.

Yboat
03-08-2010, 03:01 PM
why the idea behind them is a good one, in reality, they don't work very well.

Chad Hughes
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I say waste of money!

Best wishes!

philip69285
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Waste of money... just buy some fert tabs from aquariumplants.com and watch your plants go nuts.

Greenheinie
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I agree with everybody above.

My plants grow like crazy as it is. If substrate heaters make them grow even faster, I'd have to quit my job just to keep up with tank maintenance ;).

CO2, good lights, dry ferts and root tabs is more than enough.

Yiannisk
03-08-2010, 06:20 PM
simply useless

dethatcher
03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Place tank on ridgid foam to insulate bottom. The high temps in a discus tank are enough to keep things warm enough for plants. Other than that I agree with everyone else.

Frankr409
03-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Place tank on ridgid foam to insulate bottom. The high temps in a discus tank are enough to keep things warm enough for plants. Other than that I agree with everyone else.

This is a good tip. I agree with what everyone has written so far, and I won't be putting any dollars in substrate heaters.

I will be putting in a CO2 system with a PH monitor as well, had great luck with it the last time around.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.