PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Amazon Swords and fertilizer tabs

ssevasta
03-12-2010, 06:04 AM
I am converting my tank to a bb so I have a few questions. The only plants I have in my tank are four medium to large size Amazon Swords and I don't plan on adding any more plants. Im not currently running any Co2 into the tank but I do have a Co2 kit in storage. Im nervous about Ph swings so thats why im not using my Co2 kit right now. I would greatly appreciate the knowledge of our forum experts on the questions below.

1) What are the best pots and size pots for Amazon Swords?
2) What would be the best fertilizer tab to use in the pots?
3) What kind of substrate for the pot would be the best for my sword plants?
4) Where can I order the suggested pots, fertilizer, and pot substrate?
5) I have about 1/4 of a bottle of Seachem Flourish is there any potential harm in using this product in addition to the fertilizer tabs in the pot substrate?

Many Thanks,
Sean

Greenheinie
03-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I'll take a stab at this since I'm not ready to dive in to work yet :).

1) I've used clay pots (terra cota?) in the past. I'd get a size big enough to accompany the root system since sword roots get BIG. You can get these cheap at Michael's or other craft shops...they have tons of sizes.
2) I'd use Seachem fert tabs since they're easy to find. I might also dose some dry Fe in the water since swords love their iron. Aquariumplants.com has just iron tabs if you're not interested in dry dosing. They also have "all purpose" tabs which I've used and are pretty good.
3) Again, aquariumplants.com's substrate works well for me and my swords, but a lot of people think it's crap. Eco-complete or whatever it's called is readily available and seems to work well for people.
4) I just had a good experience with kensfish.com, who I learned was a sponsor here. Amazing prices and super fast shipping.
5) I don't think there's any harm there. Start by dosing a little and see how the plants react. If it looks like they need more, gradually give them some more.

That's my two cents. Hope it helps!