PDA

View Full Version : New endeavor

gravjack
03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Hello, new to the forum. This is my first try at a planted community tank w/discus. Tank is 135 gal. and has been set up two months.

Pool filter sand substrate - local bogwood/rocks - various plants, trying to stay with low light varieties. 192 watts of 6700k compact fluorescent light. Magnum 350 pro and Penguin 350 biowheel filters. Using Seachem Flourish and Fl Excell. Two WCs per week about 25% each time. 7.2 PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrites, <5 ppm nitrates, KH 4, temp at 82/83 F.

Current fish are 3 corydoras sp., 3 bn plecos, 11 otocinclus affinis and 22 rummynose tetras and some MTS. Waiting till I'm sure the tank is stable to add about 6 discus. Getting anxious to do so. Hope I'm on the right track. Comments and suggestions please. Several pics:

hedut
03-15-2010, 08:27 PM
nice plant tank,good for albino cause black background but don't forget to quarantine fish first;)

yikesjason
03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
That looks very nice. Simple and clean. It will be great for discus.

calihawker
03-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Very nice tank!:thumbsup:

Eddie
03-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Beautiful Tank! It looks very sharp/clean! I'd toss in a school of Wild Blues when its ready for discus. ;)

Take care and all the best! And also, WELCOME to SIMPLY!

Eddie

gravjack
03-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks to all for the compliments. I especially appreciate the suggestions as to fish/colors. Just found out we have to travel out of town on family business in May and don't want to be in the middle of acclimating new fish at that time. So that means I will get some discus about the first of June. Any other comments/suggestions would be welcome.

John

gravjack
01-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Thought I would update this thread. It's been one year since I first set the tank up. Plants are growing nicely given my low (or no) tech approach. Though there have been a few glitches, overall it has been a pleasure to see it develop. Fish seems to like it in there. I made a short video a couple of days ago including a clip one of my small alenquers doing his favorite trick (you'll understand why he's named limbo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T_JjIR7-Vc

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Tank has matured very nicely and the discus look great. I would say your alenquer has his own form of self entertainment.

gravjack
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Tank has matured very nicely and the discus look great. I would say your alenquer has his own form of self entertainment.

Thanks for the kind words. He has been doing that for some time on a regular basis, and now one of the others occasionally follows him through.