PDA

View Full Version : Glass top

joeBob
03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
So i have a standard size 75er that needs a top. I got a Versa-top that comes in two sections but i don't have a center brace. Has anyone else had any experience in making a center brace for the top?

Thanks,
Joe Bob

bmrin1
03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I did some measurements and went to my local glass shop and had a piece of glass cut and siliconed it into place. The original center brace had broke and I bought this new oceanic 75 for $50 bucks plus the cost of the glass for the brace and the silicone. Very easy to do.

Brian

Arjunpun
03-18-2010, 07:48 PM
I am using a piece of wood from home depot for my 55 g tank.

Ed13
03-18-2010, 08:02 PM
I did some measurements and went to my local glass shop and had a piece of glass cut and siliconed it into place. The original center brace had broke and I bought this new oceanic 75 for $50 bucks plus the cost of the glass for the brace and the silicone. Very easy to do.

Brian
Yup, just take measurements to a glass shop and silicone it. Actually, unless your tank was designed be without one, you SHOULD do this wether the glass tops will be used or not.

Now, I should mention that when there is moisture, glass to glass contact needs something to prevent the glass cross brace to stick to the glass tops. Just make sure the plastic hinge on the glass tops takes care of this or let some drops of silicone dry on the cross brace, otherwise is gonna be somewhat hard to remove them.

I am using a piece of wood from home depot for my 55 g tank.
I'd be careful to protect that wood from rotting.

joeBob
03-21-2010, 03:23 AM
sweet thanks. how hard is it to silicone when the tank has fish in it? It wouldn't be underwater but will it cure right if it gets splashed by water?

jeff@zina.com
03-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Silicone actually cures by a chemical process, so it cures as well under water. If the tank has fish in it though, I wouldn't do any sealing at this time.

Jeff

Northwoods Discus
04-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Arjunpun
Be careful about wood as a divider. I had a wood divider in a tank when I was in college. The wood swelled and one day All of a sudden it put enough pressure on the glass to pop it out and we were running for pans and buckets. We did not have any buckets in college. Used all the pans we had and the floor got wet. Second floor apartment, OOps