PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Salt Alternatives?

mjs020294
03-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Has anyone tried using salt other than the stuff bought at the LFS? I noticed my Aquarium salt looks and tastes exactly the same as my pool salt, despite it being 40 times more expensive.

Elite Aquaria
03-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Sure I use Morton's Solar Salt...I buy it at the Publix grocery store...here is a link to Morton's site...

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/watersoftner/white-crystal-solar.html

rickztahone
03-20-2010, 12:36 PM
you can also get Epsom salt at your local pharmacy for bloated discus. it will be by the foot therapy items.

hedut
03-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Buy the one no idone at any supermarket. ( I could be wrong spelling) :)

brewmaster15
03-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Non-iodinated kosher table salt works well too when salt is needed for stress, nitrite poisoning ,or disease treatments....found at most super markets.

hth,
al

hedut
03-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Non-iodinated kosher table salt works well too when salt is needed for stress, nitrite poisoning ,or disease treatments....found at most super markets.

hth,
al

:D:D:D:D Thanks for correct me Al:D:D:D

brewmaster15
03-20-2010, 01:03 PM
LOL Hendri... we double posted a minute apart.:)

-al

wesleydnunder
03-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Aquarium Salt is basically rock salt in a pretty package, just smaller grain size.

On the subject of iodized vs non-iodized table salt, I've read that the iodized is safe for aquarium use. The way it was stated, "...so much salt would have to be added that the fish would be pickled in brine long before the iodide level became an issue". I've used iodized table salt to treat ich with no ill effects.

pcsb23
03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I use any salt I can get, usually the cheapest, with or without being iodised and with or without YPS (anti cakingt). Only time YPS would be an issue is a very acidic tank AND extreme hoigh powered lights (like the sun!!). Iodine when "iodised" is basically inert and will not affect the fish. If I believed there was even an outside risk I wouldn't do it :o

I would not use salt with YPS in an outside pond in mid summer though :)

mjs020294
03-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Sure I use Morton's Solar Salt...I buy it at the Publix grocery store...here is a link to Morton's site...

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/watersoftner/white-crystal-solar.html

How much is that salt? I have 40lbs bags of salt for my pool and they only cost $6-7 a bag.

Elite Aquaria
03-20-2010, 04:46 PM
I think it is about $8 -12...I can't remember

joanr
03-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I found some nice salt down the Pond aisle at PetSmart. It comes in a Milk Carton 4.4lb container and is called "Pondcare Pond Salt". It's all natural evaporated sea salt, not table or rock salt. My fish love when I add some to the water, and they will snack on some of the undissolved granules that may sink to the bottom, but I ususally disolve it all first in de-clorinated water from the storage tank. Is it cheap? Well, way cheaper than the API little cartons of Aquarium salt, just 6 dollars for the 4.4 lbs. But not as cheap as the table salt.

rickztahone
03-20-2010, 04:59 PM
I use any salt I can get, usually the cheapest, with or without being iodised and with or without YPS (anti cakingt). Only time YPS would be an issue is a very acidic tank AND extreme hoigh powered lights (like the sun!!). Iodine when "iodised" is basically inert and will not affect the fish. If I believed there was even an outside risk I wouldn't do it :o

I would not use salt with YPS in an outside pond in mid summer though :)

same here Paul, i just buy the iodized or non-iodized, whichever is closer at the supermarket. can't beat the morton's table salt at less than a buck for the container.

gwrace
03-23-2010, 01:24 AM
How much is that salt? I have 40lbs bags of salt for my pool and they only cost $6-7 a bag.

I also use the water softener pellets found at Lowes. It's supposed to be 99.6 % pure salt. I use it for the tanks, salt water pool and water softener. $6 for a 40 lb bag.

kaceyo
03-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I also get the Morton water softener salt at Home Depot. $6 bucks for 40lbs. Can't beat the price.