PDA

View Full Version : Parasites

GoingDiscus
03-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Hello I have been reading alot about parasites like worms and flukes and such, I was just wondering if my fish are clean would different foods like say for instance blood worms or mosquito larvae introduce anything into my tanks? I read somewhere that Tubifex worms carry some type of parasite so I havent fed them any of those...
I know that introducing new fish to my tanks will introduce a bunch of things...
so I am reluctant to add anything at all for now, and when I do I will do a qt tank for a couple months and make sure the new fish are nice and clean.
These are my first set of Discus and I kinda got that mother hen thing going on lol
Thanks
Ron
I also read this on the Stendker website now Im worried about feeding them blood worms
http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/333,0,food-in-general,index,0.html

joanr
03-20-2010, 04:45 PM
I never had a problem with the Frozen Hikari Bloodworms, but I no longer feed live worms at all. Just the frozen Hikari cubes and Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms, the fish love both. I also feed the frozen glassworm when it's in season from SF, but they fish don't like those as much.

rickztahone
03-20-2010, 05:02 PM
i've been using Hikari FBW for a while now with no ill effects. i also have been using Mal's FDBW with no ill effects. i would definitely do as you have been doing and stay away from tubifex worms though. worms do not have to be a staple food however, and variety with a bunch of dry foods is ideal IMO.

Jhhnn
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
I feed hikari fbw, mysis, spirulina brine shrimp in addition to beefheart and homemade seafood mix.

Other than a fluke episode, which my supplier acknowledged they could easily have arrived with, I've had no parasite issues.

I suspect that the Stendker article refers to live bloodworms, which could easily carry undesirable organisms with them...

Years ago, it was common to feed live tubifex... it was also common to have a lot of parasite problems, too... I don't even feed the freeze-dried tubifex, although I figure it'd probably be safe. I'll let other people figure that out...

moik
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
There is always a risk of hitch hikers with frozen foods or other issues associated with them...In the past I have fed frozen blood worms from one supplier and had problems,,switched to another brand and with some meds cured the problem..If you never had a sick discus ,you have not been in the hobby long enough..

calihawker
03-21-2010, 01:16 AM
The only problems I ever had was with live blackworms. I've been feeding hikari fbw for quite some time now with no issues.

vera
03-21-2010, 02:39 AM
I find blood worms by Ocean Nutrition the best and the cleanest , never had any issues feeding them ..and they come in 2 sizes - very small and big - dont know tho ', if u have them locally
TC

DerekFF
03-21-2010, 02:47 AM
most live foods come with an inherent risk of parasites, however most frozen foods are flash frozen cryogeniclly and bare no risk for contamination.

GoingDiscus
03-21-2010, 07:19 AM
cool thanks for the info,
Moik Ive only had Discus a couple weeks and am trying to make sure I keep them as healthy as possible to avoid any rookie mistakes,lol Ive read more on keeping my fish healthy than I can ever remember lol and that was before I got them
Vera I do use Ocean Nutrition brands and its available locally, but I was told they were bought out by San Francisco bay and theres werent near as clean or red as Ocean Nutrition so Im hoping they dont change the product, if they do I may have to go go with the Hikari brands
Rickthazone I mix up what I feed and I use Kens crumbles, blood worms , mysis shrimp, and one thats got squid and clam and Brine shrimp mixed in it, they do love those blood worms tho, lol
I was going to move these guys to a 90 gallon but I think I am going to put them in a 150 I have sitting here that I think will be a nice big place for them to grow up in
Thanks for the replies everyone
Ron

crazycracker
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I agree w/ everyone else - don't fed live anything - you just know what conditions they were kept before they made it 2 ur fish store. Most of the fish stores that keep "Good Quality" discus take VERY good care of the fish & water conditions in there store but they have no control over the distributor sending them the products.

I also like mixing up the food/ changing it up on them (1 day frzn blood worms, next day something different, & so on) but frozen foods usually a very good way 2 go.

Also I have ordered the beefheart mix from brewmaster15. GREAT stuff my Discus destroy it soon as it hits the top of the tank. So just another idea 4 u.

If u search brewmaster15 - u'll find all kinds of post from him. check it out

Chad Hughes
03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
I use live black worms from Aquatic Foods. They are realtively local and I get great prices on them. 2 lbs arrive at my door the day after I order them for about $27. They'll last about a month with normal feedings unless I sell some of them off. They are super fresh upon arrival and a little daily rinse keeps them that way. Yes, you have to refrigerate them, but I think that's a small inconvenience to their benefit.

I still use FBW and BH for variety. I've tried the freeze dried black worms and blood worm but haven't had the same experience as others have with fish "tearing them up". For breeding and diet variety I really like the live black worm. I've never seen a fish eat anything with such vigor as with the live CBW.

Just my $.02!

mmorris
03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
I use live black worms from Aquatic Foods. They are realtively local and I get great prices on them. 2 lbs arrive at my door the day after I order them for about $27.

You are getting 2 lbs delivered for $27?