PDA

View Full Version : PORET FILTER FOAM versus MATALA FILTER MEDIA

Steven Turitz
03-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Good Morning All
I woke up this morning "chatty".
Anyone who knows me knows I probably also went to bed "chatty".
I do tend to make long stories "longer".
Anyway, I am reaching out to all the "PROS", all the "SEASONED VETERANS" in the community (I am new to SimplyDiscus but I already know who I think the Discus experts and authorities are) for their knowledge and assistance in building the "PERFECT WET/DRY" filter system for a 200 gallon Discus Only showtank.
I am an "overkill" kind of a guy. I want a kick... filter and kick... "Discus Happy" water quality.
I like to cover all the bases and all possible contingencies.
The platform will be the LifeReef LF2-300 Side-By-Side (link attached) modifications discussed below.
http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html
My thought is to have the sides of the sump (actually the whole sump box), which will be custom built by the manufacturer, 12" higher so I can have the two towers sitting higher, leaving a substantial 16" space below the towers(which will be filled with bio-balls as the illustration indicates) for either totally submerged Poret Filter Foam or Matala Filter Media.
This will cover (from all my SimplyDiscus reading and research) those who prefer totally submerged filter material and those who prefer conventional
wet, oxygenated bio ball filter material for biological filtration.
Now my question, Poret or Matala?
Thanks
Steve