PDA

View Full Version : what is the best canister for my 120XH

discusdmann
03-21-2010, 10:56 PM
I have a 120XH overflow tank that I am using a magaflow 4 wet/dry filter right now . I would like to go to a canister type filter. I would like to use the overflow system that is already there. Any suggestions? thank Dale

discusdmann
03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I could really use some help from all of you out there. I have only used a
Marineland Magnum Canister Filters, that was 20 years ago. I thought that a wet/dry was the way to go but I was wrong. I was thinking about something with an UV Sterilizer. I have used many HOB filter on smaller tanks, with this tank I want to make sure the water quality is the best I can besides water changes. so please help me out with your knowledge and experiences.

Harriett
03-23-2010, 03:23 PM
I would go either with 2 medium canisters [several popular brands--XP3s or 4s for example] or one large powerful canister like the FX5. Set up spray bars for your return water, you would be just fine! You can set up inline components such as heaters, CO2, sterilizer.
Best regards,
Harriett

wesleydnunder
03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
I'd go with two Eheim 2217s with the spray bars at either end facing each other. That's the set up I have in my 125 and it works great. Good water movement, redundant filtration in case one fails and not too much current throughout the tank.

discusdmann
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
thank for your input ,I have looked at both of them and got mixed reviews. Has any one used the reaction 4-stage from JBJ? I was thinking about putting two of them on, one to each overflow line or mabe one big one for both overflows.

nc0gnet0
03-24-2010, 12:50 AM
If I may ask what problems are you having with your wet/dry filter? Maybe some tweaking is all that is needed and perhaps a polishing filter in addition to the wet/dry.

mlw
03-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd go with two Eheim 2217s with the spray bars at either end facing each other. That's the set up I have in my 125 and it works great. Good water movement, redundant filtration in case one fails and not too much current throughout the tank.

I have the same spray bar set up with an Eheim 2218 and a 2217 on a 75 gallon. Works wonderfully.

rich_one
03-24-2010, 03:14 PM
I just got a Fluval FX5, and I love it... it is the one I recommend... good luck!

-Rich

discusdmann
03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
the wet/dry filter I got is the MEGAFLOW 4. The sump area bowed out so the lid doesn't fit, the tray with the filter pad will spill out of the sump and all over the bottom of the stand if it gets a little plugged, the cover of this tray warped, and it makes lots of noise. I do like how it oxygenate the tank.

nc0gnet0
03-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Is this the same wet/dry I see online for $400.00 to $600.00 Ouch, so much for quality.....I built my own for well under $100.00. I have dual 1" feeds to a trickle tower over bio-balls and then to dual sumps that each has it own 5 micron filter and its own 18 watt uv.

If you can add filter socks to the downspouts that would help a great deal with mech filtration.

discusdmann
03-24-2010, 11:08 PM
yes this is one of them, but I want something that's easier to take care of and give me some room under my tank. I would like to get something soon because I am going to be getting ten young discus and would like to have the filter (s) ready

nc0gnet0
03-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Thats interesting because I find the wet dry easiest to care for and maintenance. They have their pro's and they have their con's. On the plus side, they are bio-power houses. Their drawbacks are they lack a bit on the mechanical side of filtration. I really like the combination of both, and I don't have to worry about losing my good bacteria in my canister filter when I maintenance it as the wet/dry can more than handle the ammonia load. I find filter socks to be the key with a wet/dry (when used on freshwater), and although I change them twice a week, they can be used over and over again. But if your intent on going with a canister to replace the wet/dry, you can't go wrong with the fx5. I myself have both on my 200 gallon, but my stocking levels where 10x of what your putting in there.....

discusdmann
03-25-2010, 01:12 PM
one of the things on my w/d is that I would have to cut the top off to be able to put the filter socks on. I also feel that I have alot of area in the filter that would hold a skimmer that doesn't have much funtion for freshwater tanks. Has anyone tryed the Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filters w/ uv sterilizer.

born2lovefish
03-26-2010, 09:34 AM
I own 2 Eheim 2227 wet/dry canisters. One is on my 75 planted and the other on my 56 gallon planted. Have had the one on my 75 gallon planted for 13 years and never have replaced a part other than the media once. The other one is about 2 years old. The initial cost of an Eheim is $$$, but they will outlast any other brand!

nc0gnet0
03-26-2010, 10:12 PM
The other one is about 2 years old. The initial cost of an Eheim is $$$, but they will outlast any other brand!

That is unless you own an eheim pro II, in which case you will have a leaky filter in the matter of a year or so.

nikond70s
03-26-2010, 10:57 PM
2 eheim 2217's. gotta touch mine to see if its working, its that quiet.

discusdmann
03-27-2010, 12:01 PM
So it looks like that most of you like the ehiem brand filter over most others,but my another ? is have is has anyone tried the REACTION 4-STAGE CANISTER FILTER by JBJ lighting.