PDA

View Full Version : Pump Question...

rich_one
03-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Okay... so now that I finally have my 125 gallon, soon-to-be discus tank up and running, due to the setup in my basement, I will need to use a pump system for my water changes. Basically, I plan to keep some sort of Rubbermaid-type trash can to age the water, and use a pump (thinking submersible) to pump that water into the tank. At the same time, I am thinking of using a separate pump (inline... won't be submerged, though, can be a submersible pump, if it can also be uses inline), to pump the water out of the tank and into a draing during the water changes.

I am looking at pumps on kensfish.com... and there are many choices. So, I was hoping for a bit of guidance here, in soliciting what others are using and/or recommend for what I am describing above. I really appreciate the input.

The pumps I am looking at are at:

http://www.kensfish.com/waterpumplinks.html

Thanks all, in advance for your insight!

-Rich

wesleydnunder
03-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Rich when I had my aquarium maint. business I had a similar set up to what you're describing; a 44 gal rubbermade trash can for pre-treatment, a drop-in submersible pump for filling the tank from the can. I didn't use a pump for draining the tank, just a python with an 18" gravel tube. For my pump, I bought a 120v pond pump at Lowes, I think it was 800 gph.

acroken
03-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey Rich,
may want to check out http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html
I had tanks which were too low to siphon. These pumps have worked very well for me to siphon out water during w/c's. I only use them on my low tanks and pushing maybe a 3' head.I use little giant 4-MDQX-SC for all refilling.

Kenny

rich_one
03-22-2010, 10:43 AM
thanks! I will look into both of these solutions... much appreciated!

-Rich

jeff@zina.com
03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Okay, given the choice I'll take a Mag Drive over other pumps any time. A Mag 5 is a great choice for filling tanks, at a reasonable speed and price. In my case, I got a Little Giant pond pump on clearance for $15 and use that, it's about the equivalent of a Mag 3. It also works fine for me.

Jeff

rich_one
03-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Think I'm gonna go with the Maxi-Jet 1800 for pumping the aged water from the container to the tank, and a Maxi-Jet 1100 for pumping from the tank to the tub. The pump sending water from the tank to the tub doesn't need any head, while the pump sending water from the container to the tank would need about 5 feet... the 1800 has 7.5 feet.

Sound good?

-Rich