PDA

View Full Version : Why NADA's Discus Show in so Important...

brewmaster15
03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi Everyone,
As we get closer to the June 10th-13th date of the NADA Discus Show in Texas, I wanted to share with you why I personally feel this show is so important and Why I think everyone should support it any way they can. These are my personal feelings, not prompted by NADA.:)... SimplyDiscus is not related to NADA and I am not involved in the shows planning in any way, though I am one of the slated speakers...I'm just lending NADA this Forum's support as I can to help the show Succeed.

I've been in this Hobby for many many years now and I have had the pleasure to watch the hobby grow in North America especially over the last decade. I've seen many new hobbyists come into this hobby, particularly thru this forum, and many have stayed with it. At the same time I have watched independent groups like the Northeast Discus Association grow phenomenally over the last few years. I feel that these social get togethers are critical for the survival and further development of the Hobby. So much more comes out of sitting down and talking with fellow hobbyists verses just Pms and posts... What better way to meet fellow Hobbyists than attending a weekend long Show dedicated to Discus? I will be going there and I am absolutely thrilled that I will have the chance to finally meet friends I have made over the years here, and make new ones for the years to come.

Another reason I feel that this show is so important is it gives hobbyists a chance to see examples of what Discus can be when they reach their full potential. We all have discus that we are proud of and thats as it should be... but to be able to see examples of what to strive for in the shape and size of these fish can only be appreciated when you physically see them.. and at events like this...you are given that chance...Its something not to be missed if you can help it! Add to that the chance to show your own stock and compete for awards...its truly priceless.

Knowledge gained at events like these pushes the hobby forward... and we really need Discus Shows like this in North America. Its something we have been lacking for many many years when compared to international venues. I can't really stress how critical it really is that this show succeed...But I think it needs all our support to work.

I'd really like for this forums membership to pull together and support this show.....make it a success.. How? Physically attend if you can....Show your fish if you can...Donate if you can, or sponsor a class at the show... Help anyway you can , either as an individual or as a member of Simplydiscus...but help.

You can Find out all the show details here...

http://www.discusnada.org/show/

You can sponsor a class here....

http://www.discusnada.org/show/classawards.html

and lastly you can donate general funds to NADA here....

http://www.discusnada.org

Thanks everyone,
Al

ps.. Times are Tight...but hey if anyone feels comfortable in doing so shouting out a pledge to NADA in this thread and the amount would be great...I'd really like to see what we can generate for this show.

I'll start off.. I will personally sponsor one of the classes for awards...so theres $100 from Brew and SimplyDiscus.com:):):):)

Elite Aquaria
03-24-2010, 10:09 AM
I agree with Al 100%...I will be attending the show and hope to finally meet many of the friends that I have made here on Simply over the years.

The success of this show was the reason why I decided to support this show by auctioning off the Royal Blue Titans several months ago...I think we raised close to $1,000

John_Nicholson
03-24-2010, 10:34 AM
As the VP I would like to thank both of you for want you both have done for NADA. I really think this show will be one that will be talked about for years...hopefully for all of the right reasons...LOL.

One note on Al's post. First he is 100% correct and second if you enter your fish in the show it you will really maximize your learning. You may also win. I have seen hobbbyist do that before. Being able to compare and contrast your fish with the others really helps one what is going on.

Thanks again.

-john

Chad Hughes
03-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Al,

San Diego Discus will sponsor the "People's Choice Award" for the NADA show.

Best wishes!

brewmaster15
03-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Lol Chad... I just beat you to that class by 5 minutes.:D:D:D:D:D

Thats Very very generous of you though!!! Would you consider another class?
-al

Larry Bugg
03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Are you sure you got it????

I submitted payment for it on paypal around 10:30, 1 hour ago.

Lol Chad... I just beat you to that class by 5 minutes.:D:D:D:D:D

Thats Very very generous of you though!!! Would you consider another class?
-al

Chad Hughes
03-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Al,

You devil! LOL!

I'd be happy to sponsor another class, just not sure which one now. The web site still shows openings for a few including "People's Choice". I suppose I'll take the "Open" class

I'm at work at the moment and our highly regulated government computers will not allow me to actually pay for sponsorship, so I guess I'll wait until this evening to sponsor another.

Best wishes!

Chad Hughes
03-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Are you sure you got it????

I submitted payment for it on paypal around 10:30, 1 hour ago.

Uh oh! :confused:

Larry Bugg
03-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Well Al had me beat. All for a excellent cause.Since you mentioned the open class Chad, I took the fine line.

Larry

Chad Hughes
03-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Got it Larry!

Thanks man!

John_Nicholson
03-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Hey I want to thank all of you on this. And for those of you that I have not really "met" yet make damn sure you look me up as soon as ya'll get to Texas.

-john

brewmaster15
03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey Chad and Larry...Thanks guys...I know it benefits NADA and this show...but it also says alot about SimplyDiscus too. ..so again...Thanks!!:)

-al

Chad Hughes
03-24-2010, 11:55 AM
;)

Larry Bugg
03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Hey Chad and Larry...Thanks guys...I know it benefits NADA and this show...but it also says alot about SimplyDiscus too. ..so again...Thanks!!:)

-al

Thanks Al

It's a small payback for all the valuable knowledge I have gained.

I hang out on this site wayyyyyyyyy to much. Really look forward to meeting everyone at the convention.

yogi
03-27-2010, 03:14 PM
As the President of NADA I want to thank Al and Simply Discus for helping NADA with this show. I don't think we would be able to pull this off without your help. I also want to thank everyone who has stepped up to sponsor something at the show. I'm also looking forward to meeting a lot of the people I have seen post on the forums.

alpine
03-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Wow ! what an endorsement for the NADA SHOW ... Al , thanks and look foward to meeting you there and listening ot your Lecture !

Roberto.