PDA

View Full Version : Rena Thermic Smart Heater anyone?

Lovardi Discus
03-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi all, Have anybody try this heater for their discus tank?? Let us know what you all think. Thank you.

prolude006
03-24-2010, 07:56 PM
I have my 300w smart heater now for a year and it works awesome. I do kinda wish I knew if I could leave it on during water changes as it has a minimum water level, but the water runs through it so not sure if it would be fine. Overall I love all my Rena products, they seem to be super reliable.

philip69285
03-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I have my 300w smart heater now for a year and it works awesome. I do kinda wish I knew if I could leave it on during water changes as it has a minimum water level, but the water runs through it so not sure if it would be fine. Overall I love all my Rena products, they seem to be super reliable.

I leave mine on during water changes with no problems what so ever.... had one for over a year and the second is about 2 yrs old :).

Lovardi Discus
03-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Thank you for the review... I'm gonna pick one up this weekend :D

darkknight87
03-24-2010, 09:44 PM
I had one that stopped working once..but other than that I find they work great. Currently I have one hooked up to the outtake tube of my cannister filter, so that the water pumps through the heater as it enteres the tank.
:D I like em

prolude006
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
hmmm interesting putting it on the other side, wonder what effect that has on heating? may have to put one on intake and one on the outflow see what happens. cant imagine to much of a difference.

Lovardi Discus
03-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Do I need to utilize canister filter to use this heater?:confused:

philip69285
03-25-2010, 07:57 PM
No you do not need a canister filter to use this heater.

Lovardi Discus
04-08-2010, 11:09 AM
I purchased mine two week ago and a few days ago the light suddenly flashing rapidly and my aquarium temperature went up to 90.9 degrees. I had to turned off the heater for at least two hours to lowered my aquarium's temp. After I replugged it everything seems to be running properly again. Have any of you experience this issue? I tried to call the Technical Help desk for at least 30 times since this issue occured and left them 1 voicemail and until this day nobody answer the call nor return my voicemail.

Darrell Ward
04-08-2010, 01:40 PM
I purchased mine two week ago and a few days ago the light suddenly flashing rapidly and my aquarium temperature went up to 90.9 degrees. I had to turned off the heater for at least two hours to lowered my aquarium's temp. After I replugged it everything seems to be running properly again. Have any of you experience this issue? I tried to call the Technical Help desk for at least 30 times since this issue occured and left them 1 voicemail and until this day nobody answer the call nor return my voicemail.

If you're going to use a Rena heater, I suggest you get a Jager as a backup. Not trying to be a smart a**, but I bought 4 Rena heaters a couple of years ago on sale, and none of them worked past a few months.

prolude006
04-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I have yet to have any problems with any of my rena products, my smartheater has been great for almost two years now, my 2 xp3 canister filters are awesome, one is new, one is 13 years old and going strong!!!!! I have a new rena luft pump and its going great so far so I like buying there stuff. I guess it depends on what works for you in the past.

my smart heater does flash rapidly when the water is more than a couple degrees off from what you have the temp set at, did you do a water change and accidentally add warmer water? that would cause it to flash rapidly, doesnt mean its heating though.
just some thoughts!

I get right through to help desk with emails so maybe try again. They even send parts out or replacements right away, maybe they sent in the mail and you will get a surprise from them.

David