PDA

View Full Version : What is NORMAL growth

mjs020294
03-28-2010, 06:05 PM
I know a lot depends on food, tank bottom, and strain but as a rough guide how fast do Discus usually grow?

I would be interested to get a ballpark time frame form the resident experts to grow from:

Two Inch to Three inch -

Two inch to four inch -

Four inch to five inch -

I got five juveniles from the worst breeder on planet earth an they are growing to varying degrees. The tank is planted and we feed them four or five times a day.

All the fish started at around two inches five week ago, and right now one is 3.5+ inches, one is 3+ inches, and the others are around 2.5 inches.

diamond_discus
03-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Too many factors that would affect growth

Stains, type of food, water quality, feeding frequency, tank space, water temperature, tank environment...

Eddie
03-28-2010, 09:03 PM
As mentioned, it varies. Not all discus are created equal! ;) Age is very important also, as a fully grown discus can be 3 inches if it is stunted or a runt. The growth rate you are experiencing seems good. I guess as an average, with optimal conditions/growth, you should get about an inch a month until the fish reach 3-4 inches and then the fish will slow in growth but not stop. As the fish matures to adult/breeding age 12-15 months, they will begin to thicken.

Two Inch to Three inch - 1 month

three inch to four inch - 1 month

Four inch to five inch - 1.5-2 months

mjs020294
03-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks Eddie ;)

One of the fish from the breeder that we don't mention is growing at an alarming rate. He was just over two inches five weeks ago, and I think he is very close to four inches now, and thick as well. He has always eaten twice as much as the others and it shows.

I am going 33% WC Tuesday and Thursday, with a 45% change on Saturday and Sunday. They get fed at least four times a day, and when we are around we feed them 6-8 times.

mjs020294
03-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks Eddie ;)

One of the fish from the breeder that we don't mention is growing at an alarming rate. He was just over two inches five weeks ago, and I think he is very close to four inches now, and thick as well. He has always eaten twice as much as the others and it shows.

I am going 33% WC Tuesday and Thursday, with a 45% change on Saturday and Sunday. As they grow I will probably do more water changes. They get fed at least four times a day, and when we are around we feed them 6-8 times.

Eddie
03-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks Eddie ;)

I am going 33% WC Tuesday and Thursday, with a 45% change on Saturday and Sunday. They get fed at least four times a day, and when we are around we feed them 6-8 times.

Sounds like they are growing well! Its not uncommon for some to outgrow the others. Its always that bigger fish that hogs all the food that tends to grow largest. :D

CrossboneVanguard
03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Does tank size as major effect on growth if daily water changes were perform? Also, how are growth rates for red discus (Fuji, Red Cover, Red Melon)?

Jon

Eddie
03-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Does tank size as major effect on growth if daily water changes were perform? Also, how are growth rates for red discus (Fuji, Red Cover, Red Melon)?

Jon

Hey Jon, I do believe that tank size has an effect on growth. I mean, you'll get plenty of people stating they grew 5 inch fish in a 29 gallon and thats fine and dandy but for overall growth of the entire group, a larger tank is better. There is more room for error. Plus, I still think a 5 inch fish is small. LOL Thats me anyways.

I am not too familiar with all the red strains so I couldn't tell you. I know that some strains do develop slower than others but not sure about the ones you have. However, genetics play the ultimate role in growth. Without the genetics to grow large, all the water in world/tank size won't make a difference.

Eddie