PDA

View Full Version : I need pump/powerhead recommendation

mlw
03-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I have a turbo twist UV sterilizer. I had it hooked up to my Eheim but flow rate was too fast and is basically did nothing. to kill parasites it needs 55gph, to kill algae 121 gph and to kill bacteria flow rate can be up to 253.
Uses 5/8 or 1/2 tubing an dam totally confused by all the choices. Also I would prefer it be under the tank not hanging from it (this is just an esthetic thing for me.)

Looking for suggestions from people who have a Turbo twist or other UV sterilizer to share what has worked for them.

hedut
03-29-2010, 05:45 PM
I use these for pump my water from tap :)
http://www.kensfish.com/powerheads/maxijet1200.JPG
hope will help

mlw
03-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I use these for pump my water from tap :)
http://www.kensfish.com/powerheads/maxijet1200.JPG
hope will help

How many gph? Need something relatively slow.

ILuvTropicalFish
03-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I have a turbo twist on my saltwater tank. It has an Eheim Hobby pump set at the lowest flow rate. My pump is going from a sump to the turbo twist which is about five feet. The rise between the pump and the twist is important in figuring what pump you need. When I was figuring out what I needed I went to Drs Foster and Smith and looked at the details for several pumps until I found one that would give me the output that was required for the rise in my setup.

HTH
Peggy

hedut
03-30-2010, 03:59 PM
here choose what ever you like if you couldn't find any check other power head from Ken. you will get Fast service;).
http://www.kensfish.com/maxijetpowerheads.html

underwaterforest
03-30-2010, 09:22 PM
I have a turbo twist 18 watt on my 36 gallon planted and found that my old highly malfunctioning magnum 250 worked great with it. I assume the flow rate was less than 100 gph considering it just dribbled out the spray bar. But I never had green water or any disease in my 36 gallon so the UV to me worked as advertised. Though the replacement bulbs are way overpriced ( You can find cheapo replacements on ebay for ten bucks, just make sure they fit the quartz sleeve).

roundfishross
03-31-2010, 07:16 AM
I have a turbo twist 18 watt on my 36 gallon planted and found that my old highly malfunctioning magnum 250 worked great with it. I assume the flow rate was less than 100 gph considering it just dribbled out the spray bar. But I never had green water or any disease in my 36 gallon so the UV to me worked as advertised. Though the replacement bulbs are way overpriced ( You can find cheapo replacements on ebay for ten bucks, just make sure they fit the quartz sleeve).

bought a knock off turbo twist on ebay for $40 delivered and it works just as well use a ball valve to slow the flow if you have to . imo pentairs quiet one line of pumps are silent and efficient ,reasonably priced as well:D

Discusgeo2
03-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Try Lowes in the Pond section, I was there this morning and they have plenty of small power heads for your needs.