PDA

View Full Version : Setup suggestions for a 90 gallon

whitetiprs
03-30-2010, 01:08 PM
I am planning on setting up my first discus tank in a 90 gallon tank as a planted display. I need some help and suggestions picking out equipmet. I already have a good idea of what I want I just want to make sure it will work and be enough for my tank.

Filter:

I was looking at either doing a single Fluval FX5 or dual Rena XP3s. With that in mind I would like to run a Rex Griggs style CO2 reactor, UV and an inline heater all off the canister filters. Will this work and will there be enough flow left after being pumped through everything?

Lighting:

I plan on using 4x 54 watt T5s as my lighting which will give me about 2 watts per gallon which is right about where I want to be for the plants. I am looking at the catalina aqauriums light fixtures and may see if they can put the bulbs in a wider housing to give a better spread on the light.

CO2:
Green leaf aquariums regulator with pH controller, I have one on my 46 gallon planted tank and love it.

Heating:
As said before I would like to use an inline heater, 300 watts

UV:
I am looking at the coralife Turbo twist 3 or 6 not sure which to get.

Substrate:
I am not really sure what to use. I have aquariumplants.com substrate in my planted tank it seams to work well. Is there something better or different I should use, price may be a deciding factor on which I choose.

RO/DI:
I already have a setup from when I was running my reef tank.

I am not sure if there is something else that I am overlooking, but hopefully some of you out there can answer my questions and make some commentsand suggestions.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

waters10
03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I am planning on setting up my first discus tank in a 90 gallon tank as a planted display. I need some help and suggestions picking out equipmet. I already have a good idea of what I want I just want to make sure it will work and be enough for my tank.

Filter:

I was looking at either doing a single Fluval FX5 or dual Rena XP3s. With that in mind I would like to run a Rex Griggs style CO2 reactor, UV and an inline heater all off the canister filters. Will this work and will there be enough flow left after being pumped through everything?

Lighting:

I plan on using 4x 54 watt T5s as my lighting which will give me about 2 watts per gallon which is right about where I want to be for the plants. I am looking at the catalina aqauriums light fixtures and may see if they can put the bulbs in a wider housing to give a better spread on the light.

CO2:
Green leaf aquariums regulator with pH controller, I have one on my 46 gallon planted tank and love it.

Heating:
As said before I would like to use an inline heater, 300 watts

UV:
I am looking at the coralife Turbo twist 3 or 6 not sure which to get.

Substrate:
I am not really sure what to use. I have aquariumplants.com substrate in my planted tank it seams to work well. Is there something better or different I should use, price may be a deciding factor on which I choose.

RO/DI:
I already have a setup from when I was running my reef tank.

I am not sure if there is something else that I am overlooking, but hopefully some of you out there can answer my questions and make some commentsand suggestions.

Thanks for the help,

Matt
Do you need 2 XP3's? I have an 85g tank with HOB and sponge filter now, but I was considering a single XP3 ...

Regarding XP3, don't know if you have it already. But if you're thinking about buying from drs foster & smith, go to their aquatics web site and search for CK907364. This will give you almost $40 off on the price of this filter! Basically, if you find a product on their site that starts with CD and has 6 digits, copy the SKU, paste it on the search button and replace CD with CK and you'll get it at a lower price. Don't know why or how it works, but it works ...

DerekFF
03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Are you getting juvies or adult fish? Planted tanks are a huge PITA if you are growing fish.

tcyiu
03-30-2010, 08:32 PM
But if you're thinking about buying from drs foster & smith, go to their aquatics web site and search for CK907364. This will give you almost $40 off on the price of this filter! Basically, if you find a product on their site that starts with CD and has 6 digits, copy the SKU, paste it on the search button and replace CD with CK and you'll get it at a lower price. Don't know why or how it works, but it works ...

Wow. Thanks. I wish this works for 5 digit codes.
Tim

waters10
03-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Wow. Thanks. I wish this works for 5 digit codes.
Tim
No problem. Yeah, it would be great if worked for 5 digit ones ...

whitetiprs
03-31-2010, 06:36 AM
I would be getting juveniles. I was planning on growing them out for a few months in the 40 gallon that I have though before adding them to the display tank.