PDA

View Full Version : Glass Lid?

C3H6O3
04-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Quick question:

I lost a discus 2 days ago -- jumped out of the aquarium. :-(

I have a planted aquarium, and have kept the glass lids off to allow more light to the plants. How much light would I lose if I used the glass lids?

Thanks for any input!

Hector

underwaterforest
04-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I have heard 5-10% max, if the glass is clean. I don't think I would worry about it unless you were very low light to begin with. You could always use it as an excuse to "upgrade" your lighting, T5s are very nice;).

Ed13
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Quick question:

I lost a discus 2 days ago -- jumped out of the aquarium. :-(

I have a planted aquarium, and have kept the glass lids off to allow more light to the plants. How much light would I lose if I used the glass lids?

Thanks for any input!

Hector
As much as the thickness of the glass and the filth on it.;)

Sorry, no one can really answer this one with any kind of certainty, unless they use light meters(PAR, PUR etc) on YOUR tank. However, the age of the bulbs, type of bulbs, type of lighting system and its height from the waters surface, thickness of the glass, what type of glass, how dirty is the glass, how deep is the aquarium and believe it or not how clean is that water and how many organic compounds are dissolve in it will have an effect on how much "light" reaches the plants.

So to make a long story short in most cases, more than likely the difference will be minimal:p. Just keep it clean.:)

HTH

C3H6O3
04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Guys,

Thanks for your input! I have 2 X 250 powerpaq metal halides and 4 X 54w T5's of 6700k, so I'm probably concerned about something that I shouldn't be concerned about! I tend to overanalyze things sometimes, so it's good to get some outside reinforcement !

Hector

underwaterforest
04-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Guys,

Thanks for your input! I have 2 X 250 powerpaq metal halides and 4 X 54w T5's of 6700k, so I'm probably concerned about something that I shouldn't be concerned about! I tend to overanalyze things sometimes, so it's good to get some outside reinforcement !

Hector

I hear you brother I'm in the same boat I always worry about things that other people don't even care about.

Your name by the way wouldn't be glyceraldehyde would it?

C3H6O3
04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I hear you brother I'm in the same boat I always worry about things that other people don't even care about.

Your name by the way wouldn't be glyceraldehyde would it?

So close!! LACTIC ACID -- I'm a runner :-)

Apistomaster
04-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I wholeheartedly recommend using a glass cover. The light loss is negligible if the cover is kept clean and it only takes one expensive Discus to jump out to pay for the cover glass.
I make my own. I order the hinges for 3/16" glass and then cut the hinge material to fit each sized tank. I use a section of 1/2" diameter PVC pipe as my handle which I epoxy in place.
The pipe type handle is useful when your hands are full. You can often lift the lid with your little finger inserted into the pipe lid. The sections are made only about 1-1/4" long.

Disgirl
04-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I wholeheartedly recommend using a glass cover. The light loss is negligible if the cover is kept clean and it only takes one expensive Discus to jump out to pay for the cover glass.
I make my own. I order the hinges for 3/16" glass and then cut the hinge material to fit each sized tank. I use a section of 1/2" diameter PVC pipe as my handle which I epoxy in place.
The pipe type handle is useful when your hands are full. You can often lift the lid with your little finger inserted into the pipe lid. The sections are made only about 1-1/4" long.

Wow Larry, talk about a useful tip, this should go in the fish version of Hints from Heloise!
Barb:D

Ed13
04-03-2010, 01:35 PM
I def agree. Glass lids have save more than once from picking discus of the floor.

Wahter
04-03-2010, 01:41 PM
And a glass lid will help lessen evaporation.

:)

Walter

Ed13
04-03-2010, 01:45 PM
And a glass lid will help lessen evaporation.

:)

Walter
Less evaporation means, less heat loss, meaning less electricity consumption from the heater. MEANING, more discus...no?:confused::D

ifixoldhouses
04-03-2010, 01:59 PM

I need some lids on my 125, where would I order the hinges?and could I just get the glass cut at Lowes or something?

DiscusOnly
04-03-2010, 03:01 PM
I need some lids on my 125, where would I order the hinges?and could I just get the glass cut at Lowes or something?

You can get the hinge here.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3731+13819&pcatid=13819

babillba
04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I used to hate the look of the glass lid, b/c of the black separator strip in between. Then one day while cleaning the lids one of the glass halves separated from the dividing strip and I had one of those "Ahah, Briliiant" Guinness beer ad moments. I stripped apart the other and LOVE my glass top now. still get pearling on my riccia and other plants so I see very little light difference. Just clean them thoroughly with each WC

C3H6O3
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm going to keep the glass lid on and tinker with the CO2 injection to keep it from going up during the day. I experimented a little with it, and turning off the aerator increased the CO2 levels -- I'm sure it has to do with the balance of all the other gasses introduced by the aerator. Going to do it slowly.

Thanks again for all of your valuable input, fellas!

One more thing -- I'm getting a new CO2 injections system for my office, but I'll post that separately to get some input on it.

Ciao!

Hector