PDA

View Full Version : Week 45... All is well.

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Well, here we are at week 45! These guys & gals continue to grow and eat me out of house and home. I find when I am home I feed them nearly every 4 hours. It's hard to say no to a begging discus. Their diet hasn't changed much. Beefheart is still the staple. I sub in some FBW and live CBW as treats from time to time. They freak for live worms. I have to make sure I close the lid to the tank right away when feeing live foods. They literally thrash at the surface trying to eat them all at one time. KIDS! LOL!

Anyway, they have settled in to the barren BB tank and are acting just like they were in the planted tank where they grew up. Water changes are daily now, but they are small. I only remove enough water to get a good vac daily. Keep in mind, even though they are in a 60 gallon tank, they are actually in 900 gallons of water. The central system circulates 2400 gallons an hour. On the weekends the system receives a 275 gallon water change. Total water changed in 7 days is about 800 gallons for that system.

Enjoy the pics and have a great weekend!

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
A few more....

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
And more....

DavidC
04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
great to see such beautiful fish chad, love the colors and shape!

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 12:14 AM
And the last pics for now....

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 12:17 AM
great to see such beautiful fish chad, love the colors and shape!

Thanks David! Good to hear from you my friend! Thank you for the kind words!

If you guys aren't busy Saturday night, swing by around 6 pm. It's the B-Day BBQ! Ribs, chicken, shrimp, chili mac, baked beans, booze, a bunch of drunks! LOL! Oh, and cake of course! :D

Take care brother!

rickztahone
04-02-2010, 12:21 AM
they are looking great Chad. great job

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks Rick!

What are you doing Saturday? Open invite to the B-Day BBQ! :)

rickztahone
04-02-2010, 12:58 AM
around what time? i'm watching the Hopkins vs. Jones late evening.

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 01:02 AM
From 6 pm until ??? LOL!

rickztahone
04-02-2010, 01:05 AM
From 6 pm until ??? LOL!

oh i know that "until" lol. maybe next time then. watching pay-per-view boxing matches is the one thing that my dad and i never miss. great time to catch up and drink some Heineken's

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Right on brother! Enjoy!

Best wishes!

oh i know that "until" lol. maybe next time then. watching pay-per-view boxing matches is the one thing that my dad and i never miss. great time to catch up and drink some Heineken's

Disgirl
04-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Real beauties you got for your birthday Chad! And I really like the cone in several of the pictures :D. I see your tanks have the bulkhead like the one I just bought from Eric. I think that is the name for it? I will not be using the one on my tank. Can I be sure it won't leak all over the living room floor? It looks like yours but has a stopper of some sort inside the tank,stuck into the black part. Sorry I don't know all the correct names for the pieces. Just don't want any leaks. He told me it won't but I need reassurance. He said not to just glue glass over the big hole, like I had planned to do. Any advice?
Thanks, Barb

Ed13
04-02-2010, 08:47 AM
They are looking great Chad!

wgtaylor
04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Those guys look great Chad. Great job you have done with them.:)
Take care.
Bill

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Real beauties you got for your birthday Chad! And I really like the cone in several of the pictures :D. I see your tanks have the bulkhead like the one I just bought from Eric. I think that is the name for it? I will not be using the one on my tank. Can I be sure it won't leak all over the living room floor? It looks like yours but has a stopper of some sort inside the tank,stuck into the black part. Sorry I don't know all the correct names for the pieces. Just don't want any leaks. He told me it won't but I need reassurance. He said not to just glue glass over the big hole, like I had planned to do. Any advice?
Thanks, Barb

Barb,

Can you post up a picture of yours? I'm having trouble visualizing your setup. I'm certain that if Eric told you it wouldn't leak, you're going to be OK. I can see how you want to understand how bulkheads work.

Thank you for the compliments and the cones are working out well!

Thanks Barb!

Chad Hughes
04-02-2010, 11:43 AM
They are looking great Chad!

Thank you Ed!

Those guys look great Chad. Great job you have done with them.:)
Take care.
Bill

Thanks Bill! I need to borrow your photo taking skills! LOL! I think I need a darker tank for these guys. Everything in the tank is so lite it's hard to get good shots. :(

Have a great weekend!

rich_one
04-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Wow, Chad... I had not realized all the details of your setup... nice!

Those fish just look amazing... awesome job, man!

-Rich

Disgirl
04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Barb,

Can you post up a picture of yours? I'm having trouble visualizing your setup. I'm certain that if Eric told you it wouldn't leak, you're going to be OK. I can see how you want to understand how bulkheads work.

Thank you for the compliments and the cones are working out well!

Thanks Barb!

Do you think it will be watertight? I was told to just keep the white plug in the black part, in the inside of the tank. The tank is upside down in this pic so I could paint the bottom. I did put the thing in opposite the way it will go so it would show up well in the pics.
Barb

vera
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Fantastic fish Chad
Well done man!!
they are with u for 45 weeks ? sorry wasnt around forum , have some catch up to do :o:)

acroken
04-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Chad,
looking good in their new home. i bet they are loving all the extra water flow. nice work my friend.

i hope you are enjoying your B-D BBQ
Kenny

Arkangel77
04-06-2010, 06:47 AM
:thumbsup: :clap:

David Rose
04-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Awesome looking discus Chad...well done! I hope I'm still high on the list for fry...LOL.

Take care bud!
David

Chad Hughes
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Do you think it will be watertight? I was told to just keep the white plug in the black part, in the inside of the tank. The tank is upside down in this pic so I could paint the bottom. I did put the thing in opposite the way it will go so it would show up well in the pics.
Barb

Barb,

That looks like it will be more than enough to hold water. Remember, there is no water pressure at the top of the tank. Let us know how it goes!

Fantastic fish Chad
Well done man!!
they are with u for 45 weeks ? sorry wasnt around forum , have some catch up to do :o:)

Thanks Vera! Yes, in my care for 45 weeks. Most of their growing up was in a planted tank. Had to move them due to ripping out the floors in my living room.

Chad,
looking good in their new home. i bet they are loving all the extra water flow. nice work my friend.

i hope you are enjoying your B-D BBQ
Kenny

Thanks Kenny! The BBQ was great. Too much food and probably a little too much liquor, but everyone survived. LOL!

:thumbsup: :clap:

Thanks brother! :)

Awesome looking discus Chad...well done! I hope I'm still high on the list for fry...LOL.

Take care bud!
David

Thank you David! I'll add you to the list. I think you're about the 6th one. LOL!

Best wishes!

Harriett
04-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Chad, just remarkable.* I am as fascinated and excited about these as ever!!!!Best regards,Harriett

Chad Hughes
04-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Chad, just remarkable.* I am as fascinated and excited about these as ever!!!!Best regards,Harriett

Thank you Harriett! They are really gorgeous fish!

Best wishes!

Harriett
04-06-2010, 04:01 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOh,YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYes LOL