PDA

View Full Version : New Soutneast Discus Club

Larry Bugg
04-05-2010, 09:30 PM
We are in the planning stages of a new Georgia discus club. If you love discus and have zero experience to 50 years this is the place for you. What are your thoughts? What would like a local discus to look like. Let us know your thoughts.
Email me with your contact info and I will add you to the contact list to keep you updated with developments.

JaredP
04-06-2010, 12:37 AM
The most important thing in a club is the name!

S.E.D.O.A. has a ring huh? South East Discus Owners Association =D

We had talked a fair bit Friday evening, and I will try to compile more thoughts for the short get together.

RLorts
04-06-2010, 01:24 AM
I would much rather we use Discus Enthuiast as it implies anybody that likes Discus. We want an open invitation to everyone, that way we can get new people hooked on Discus.

JaredP
04-06-2010, 01:47 AM
That works just as well too, just change it to S.E.D.E.A.

Gotta be honest though, I'm bad at names.

One feature I think would be neat, if we get established and have a website, we could have a "registry". You can keep track of what breeding pairs you have, fry you are trying to grow out etc. so those who may be looking to fill in a few voids of what is local can have easy access to a directory of what's around.

DiscusChris
04-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Im in. Georgia Discus Enthusiasts? the G.D.E. has a nice ring to it, no?

Skillet_007
04-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Count me in fromt he alabama chapter.

Discus-n00b
04-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Can Carolinians join? ;)

JaredP
04-06-2010, 11:31 AM
That's why I liked the ring of South East.

Plus, we could always just work with NADA and be the local South East chapter. Roger brought up some great points in a few emails.

PM or email Larry (Bugman) your email so you can at least get emails.

darkknight87
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm definately in ^^
Not sure how often I can get to go to meetings and stuff, but I am very interested :D

Larry Bugg
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Can Carolinians join? ;)

All are welcome.

That's why I liked the ring of South East.

Plus, we could always just work with NADA and be the local South East chapter. Roger brought up some great points in a few emails.

PM or email Larry (Bugman) your email so you can at least get emails.

We have talked about this being a Southeast group. Early in the game so nothing is set in stone. We aren't going to rush into anything. Taking it slow and trying to be thoughtful of what we do. Probably looking at a very informal begining.

I have already contacted someone at NADA concerning affiliations.

sherry123
04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I"m in..just don't know if I could make meetings WAYYYYY up there lol I"m south of Atlanta..

Larry Bugg
04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Well we don't exactly have a meeting place yet. We have talked about starting out at different members houses. Give us a chance to see their fish/fish room. Nothing set at this time. Meeting place, time, day of week, monthly, quarterly.............all that is a work in progress. Come along for the ride.

ikevi
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
At this point I would say we might as well make it a southeast group. Though how/if members out of the state will participate is a serious question.

JaredP
04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Well, I dont think there will have frequent formal meetings, so it wouldnt be a issue.

DiscusChris
04-07-2010, 01:53 PM
At this point I would say we might as well make it a southeast group. Though how/if members out of the state will participate is a serious question.

That sounds like the best idea Kevin, as long as its based out of Ga.

Chad Adams
04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Sorry Guys,
Been out of sorts for a few days. No time so unable to post.
I believe we would like to stay SE as this is easier to have as Regional
rather than just local.
As we have talked it is more important to understand that at this stage we
are very informal.
Let's just gather together & talk discus, leave other bullcrap to the politicians!
Chad

ILuvTropicalFish
04-08-2010, 08:22 PM
I am interested. I would love the opportunity to get to know other discus enthusiasts.

Peggy

Chad Adams
04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I am interested. I would love the opportunity to get to know other discus enthusiasts.

Peggy

Absolutely Peggy, Looking forward to meeting you.
Chad

Larry Bugg
04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Sorry Guys,
Been out of sorts for a few days. No time so unable to post.
I believe we would like to stay SE as this is easier to have as Regional
rather than just local.
As we have talked it is more important to understand that at this stage we
are very informal.
Let's just gather together & talk discus, leave other bullcrap to the politicians!
Chad

Agreed Chad. If I had the post to do over again I would have left the word Club out. At this point no dues, no by-laws, no politics. Just a bunch of discus lovers getting to know each other and sharing our knowledge.

And yes SE.

JaredP
04-08-2010, 11:01 PM
And, the wife and I are eying a place with an amazing basment. I looked it over. It has a (if I recall correctly) a 30 by 30ft room(might be much larger) in the basement with 12ft tall ceilings that would be my fish cave, next to that room is a huge open area of basement that would fit lots of chairs, and it's attached to a massive porch over looking a river. So, if all goes to plan, I might just have a place worth hosting a few get togethers!

Chad Adams
04-09-2010, 12:50 AM
And, the wife and I are eying a place with an amazing basment. I looked it over. It has a (if I recall correctly) a 30 by 30ft room(might be much larger) in the basement with 12ft tall ceilings that would be my fish cave, next to that room is a huge open area of basement that would fit lots of chairs, and it's attached to a massive porch over looking a river. So, if all goes to plan, I might just have a place worth hosting a few get togethers!

Jared,
You must be newly married, you're going about this all wrong. If your wife thinks she is buying this house because your going to get a nice fish room??
Forget about it!
You need to make sure this place has a beautiful kitchen & bathrooms(or at least can be made that way).--Then-We're In!
Just lookin out for ya
Chad

JaredP
04-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Jared,
You must be newly married, you're going about this all wrong. If your wife thinks she is buying this house because your going to get a nice fish room??
Forget about it!
You need to make sure this place has a beautiful kitchen & bathrooms(or at least can be made that way).--Then-We're In!
Just lookin out for ya
Chad

Married almost 6 years, she went and found it so I'd have a place to put my fish. She loves the place. We'd have to finish everything (it's just a shell currently)

Larry Bugg
04-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Room for horses?

JaredP
04-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Room for horses?

Nope, but it is 1/3 mile from where she rides =D

Remind me to show you some pictures on the Iphone of the "fish room" Hope I can make it work.

DiscusChris
04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Our first meeting can be "Custom Stand/Rack building" in your basement! lol

JaredP
04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Well, might be the 5th or 6th meeting by the time we work out getting it and finish building it. A house sitting half built for 4 years does hell to it.

I envision a rack reaching to the ceiling around all 4 walls, need to figure out a ladder system!

Dkarc@Aol.com
04-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Would be fun to have a SE club, similar to what Al puts on up north. I would definetly be interested in coming to any big meetings considering it's closer to home for me (Orlando) than what Al has.....maybe even give a talk or two.

-Ryan

Larry Bugg
04-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I talked with Al for a while last night. Sounds like his NE group is very much like what we have in mind for the SE group.

brewmaster15
04-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Best of Luck here with your Southern Group everyone.... Its nice to see more of these types of get togethers...they definetly can build relations and spread the discus passion. We have had a really great series of meetings here at the North East Discus Association "NEDA":) I strongly encourage Discus lovers in the area to attend these types of meetings..... Theres isn't a better way to really get to know fellow hobbyists in your area...Some of us regulars to the Northeast Meetings have really become great friends, and it just gives you so much substance to your hobby when you get to share it with others that can appreciate your passion.

Larry it was great talking with you the other night... If I can be of any help, please let me know.:)

Regards all,
al

Chad Adams
04-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks Al,
With such great support I think we're gonna be a great organization to
be a part of.
Chad

Ronald
04-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Hi all,

I would also be interested. I am in Jacksonville FL so that would be great for me.

Regards,
Ronald

Larry Bugg
04-11-2010, 02:50 AM
send me your email address so I can add you to the contact list.

GoingDiscus
04-11-2010, 01:24 PM
This sounds like a great idea. I would like to be in something like this, although Im real new at Discus parenting, lol I dont know of anyone else even close to me besides Matt that has Discus...
Ron

Larry Bugg
04-11-2010, 11:02 PM
This sounds like a great idea. I would like to be in something like this, although Im real new at Discus parenting, lol I dont know of anyone else even close to me besides Matt that has Discus...
Ron

PM or email me your email address and I will add you to the contact list.

Larry

pullins125
04-28-2010, 04:41 PM
i have been a member of the AAAA and just now getting into discus. i think this idea is a greatidea and it will help out newbies like myself. i think i on the contact list already but if not let me know.

GlennR
05-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Maybe we could get together and play "Discus Poker"? ;)

Uh, I still need to get a tank going....guess I'll be the one you guys can send out for more beer and pizza. lol

deg421
05-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I want to be a part of this group. Willing to travel to meetings with enough notice, Keep me posted guys

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Any further info on the group and any potential meetings??

-Ryan

Peachtree Discus
05-19-2010, 01:02 PM
i apologize for my recent non-participation. I took the past 4 or 5 breeding sessions seriously and :balloon: (pop) ended up almost burning myself out of the hobby. hopefully i'm over that hump...hopefully.

Our first meeting can be "Custom Stand/Rack building" in your basement! lol

:thumbsup:

DiscusChris
05-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Any further info on the group and any potential meetings??

-Ryan

What about a saturday or sunday in the middle of june?

Chad Adams
05-19-2010, 11:48 PM
What about a saturday or sunday in the middle of june?

That's a tough one Chris. Some will be just getting back from the NADA show.
Chad

darkknight87
05-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Maybe we should shoot for the end of june?

Larry Bugg
05-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Guys, I'm sorry I have been a little deliquent. My wife has been ill and is still having to undergo test. My son and daughter-in-law, who were expecting their first child in July went into labor last week and my grandaughter was born a couple of months premature last week (she is doing great) and my daughter gave birth to what was suppose to be my frist grandchild last night on her actual due date. On top of all that work has been kinda stressful the last few weeks. I know sounds like a soap opera and feels like it also. We really need to get something planned but I just haven't been able to work on it.

Thankfully the water changes don't stop for anything and that is my opportunity to get away from it all. Can't wait for the convention, I need the break.

Larry

DiscusChris
05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Alright, what about the 26th or 27th of June? Ill be out of town the 19th and 20th, so I can meet at pretty much any other time.

Larry, thanks for the books, to call them informative would be an understatement! Hope all is well with the family, good luck.

darkknight87
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow...what alot of stress on you Larry. Hope all is well, and hope the wife gets better.

Larry Bugg
05-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Alright, what about the 26th or 27th of June? Ill be out of town the 19th and 20th, so I can meet at pretty much any other time.

Larry, thanks for the books, to call them informative would be an understatement! Hope all is well with the family, good luck.

Wow...what alot of stress on you Larry. Hope all is well, and hope the wife gets better.

Thanks guys. She is scheduled for a MRI next week and the doctor goes over the results with us on Thursday. That should answer a lot of questions.

sandyd
05-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Guys, I'm sorry I have been a little deliquent. My wife has been ill and is still having to undergo test. My son and daughter-in-law, who were expecting their first child in July went into labor last week and my grandaughter was born a couple of months premature last week (she is doing great) and my daughter gave birth to what was suppose to be my frist grandchild last night on her actual due date. On top of all that work has been kinda stressful the last few weeks. I know sounds like a soap opera and feels like it also. We really need to get something planned but I just haven't been able to work on it.

Thankfully the water changes don't stop for anything and that is my opportunity to get away from it all. Can't wait for the convention, I need the break.

Larry

Larry,,,,

Is that all that is going on?? :D
(j/k what a full plate you have had.)

I sure hope the Mrs. feels better soon! :):)
& congrats on the grandbabies! :angel:

Everything will be peaceful again soon....

I know about the much needed break...I decided to say heck with everything and I am hitting Vegas this Mon-Fri...

Larry Bugg
05-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Enjoy!! I could sit at a Texas Holdem or Blackjack table all day (and all night).

MostlyDiscus
01-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Im thinking we need MADA too. Mid-Atlantic Discus Association

tiggert
05-18-2011, 10:45 PM
I would like to learn more about the group!

Chad Adams
05-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Send Bugman a PM & he'll put you on the list. Welcome.
Where do you live?
Chad

Larry Bugg
05-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Send Bugman a PM & he'll put you on the list. Welcome.
Where do you live?
Chad

Dang Chad it says Lawrenceville.

Chad Adams
05-19-2011, 12:10 AM
It didn't when I posted that!

Larry Bugg
05-19-2011, 08:02 AM
It didn't when I posted that!

Sorry, couldn't resist. It is usually you getting one up on me.