PDA

View Full Version : Top of tank Filters

Eddie
04-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Man, I have never used these types of filters before but I have to say, I am very impressed! I was shopping around the LFS yesterday and there were a few in the bargain bin.....figured, what the heck. Man is there some surface area up in these! The 60 cm fits perfectly on a 55, actually 2 of them (one on each side). I have this thing loaded with bio-rings, sponge mats and even peat blocks. The water comes up and shoots out onto a tray with holes in it and this causes the water to trickle over the entire media surface, probably about 4" X 23". And then the water just channels out through an outflow on the other end. Its insane! There is even a little port that sits above the outflow for feeding, just drop it in the hole. I am fully impressed with these puppies! Only 20 bucks too.

http://en.item.rakuten.com/bottomline/y-200/

diamond_discus
04-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Hey Eddie, how about a tank shot ? So what's going to happen to the tank cover you might already have ?

Eddie
04-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Hey Eddie, how about a tank shot ? So what's going to happen to the tank cover you might already have ?

Easy easy...I use perfecto glass tops that are hinged in the center. I removed the aft piece of glass from the hinge and slid the plastic strip into the hinge. Fits like a glove! ;)

vera
04-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Great buy Eddie , these are the most efficient filters IMO
so how is the water clearance , they are known for starting working straight away
TC:)

Eddie
04-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Great buy Eddie , these are the most efficient filters IMO
so how is the water clearance , they are known for starting working straight away
TC:)

Water is GREAT!! I had to remove 2 of the peat blocks because my PH was getting too low, too fast. Its the first time I've used these blocks and they work TOO good. LOL My Solomons don't mind the the heavy peat but I mind the PH slipping. Its all good now though. I can honestly say that I am so impressed with these filters! ;)

vera
04-06-2010, 06:04 AM
No kidding abt peat lol
Any pictures of tank plz :o i would love to c the Solomons

Eddie
04-06-2010, 06:14 AM
No kidding abt peat lol
Any pictures of tank plz :o i would love to c the Solomons

Will try to get some tomorrow while I am home, at work ATM. ;)

waters10
04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Eddie, do you have any other link with more details on these filters? I didn't get it exactly how they work.

Thanks!

Eddie
04-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Eddie, do you have any other link with more details on these filters? I didn't get it exactly how they work.

Thanks!

Its basically like a top of tank sump/HOB. I'll get some better descriptions tomorrow. Basically a pump pulls water up to the top tray of the filter (like a powerhead). This water flows across a tray with holes in it and trickles down onto the ANY media you desire. Once the water has filtered through the media, it drops down to the lower tray, where it simply pours back into the tank.

Eddie

waters10
04-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Its basically like a top of tank sump/HOB. I'll get some better descriptions tomorrow. Basically a pump pulls water up to the top tray of the filter (like a powerhead). This water flows across a tray with holes in it and trickles down onto the ANY media you desire. Once the water has filtered through the media, it drops down to the lower tray, where it simply pours back into the tank.

Eddie
Interesting. How wide and tall is it? I think this would block some of the light, right?

I'm looking for cheap alternatives to HOB filter, since I don't have a background.

thanks

darkknight87
04-06-2010, 01:43 PM
thats pretty cool

Lovardi Discus
04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I might suggest ths product for IGO Pro group order :D

hedut
04-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I use this and I bought from anglefishusa.com here link http://www.angelfishusa.net/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=14&cat=Supplies.
and I use this since I'm into fish back than:D:D:D or you cloud use the box and some power head and contect with kinda hose for fish is more clean too:D:D:D

diamond_discus
04-06-2010, 04:48 PM
How do you mount it at the top ?

CodOnMyRod
04-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Eddie I bought 2 tanks on craigslist that came with something similar to those filters. I didnt know what they were until i showed them to a LFS owner and he told me they were filters. Unfortunately the ones that came with my tanks did not come with any pump or intake tubes of any kind. I'm sure after looking at a couple of pics of yours ;) I can figure a way of rigging mine up to make them work. This is what mine looks like and I also took a picture of the box it came in. The tanks are made in China and they had stickers on them that said Five Star Luxurious Aquarium. I've googled it but never found any info on them. Maybe someone can translate what it says on the filter box.

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae177/CodOnMyRod/Fish/DSC_0931.jpg

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae177/CodOnMyRod/Fish/DSC_0932.jpg

Ruben

diamond_discus
04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
The Chinese character on the box simply says "Top of tank filters"

CodOnMyRod
04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks Diamond. Why didnt I think of that LOL.

Ruben

Eddie
04-06-2010, 07:32 PM
How do you mount it at the top ?

It just sits on the top of the tank. The 60cm fits perfect on one side of a 55 gallon, standard tank (with center brace).

Hey Ruben, that looks to be like one. Mine is about double in size as far as width. You could definitely rig something up to get that contraption working!

Waters10, its about 4 inches wide and 23 inches long. My light sits in front of the filters. ;)

Eddie

amunoz7
04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
I bought one of those at a LFS here in the Dallas area it works like a charm. I think it was like $35 but it was well worth it, and keeps my water crystal clear.

waters10
04-06-2010, 08:47 PM
It just sits on the top of the tank. The 60cm fits perfect on one side of a 55 gallon, standard tank (with center brace).

Hey Ruben, that looks to be like one. Mine is about double in size as far as width. You could definitely rig something up to get that contraption working!

Waters10, its about 4 inches wide and 23 inches long. My light sits in front of the filters. ;)

Eddie
4 inches? That's not too bad. The only thing is that my fixture is raised with some legs. So I have to see if the filters would create big shadows.

What are they rated for? 2 of them are good for a 90g tank? How noisy are they?

Thanks for the info so far!

Eddie
04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
4 inches? That's not too bad. The only thing is that my fixture is raised with some legs. So I have to see if the filters would create big shadows.

What are they rated for? 2 of them are good for a 90g tank? How noisy are they?

Thanks for the info so far!

Unfortunately, I was talking with David and these would be awesome to use but the voltage is different here in Japan. They use 100 volt, rather than 110-115.

Eddie

shd17
04-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I have these on almost all my tanks and they work great. Wish I can get more for future tanks but difficult to find in US.

Darrell Ward
04-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Unfortunately, I was talking with David and these would be awesome to use but the voltage is different here in Japan. They use 100 volt, rather than 110-115.

Eddie

Hey Eddie, What kind of pump does these things have? Could it be replaced with a Maxi-Jet or something?

Eddie
04-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Hey Eddie, What kind of pump does these things have? Could it be replaced with a Maxi-Jet or something?

Hell yeah, I'm thinking of making some of my own actually. ;)