PDA

View Full Version : Information for calculating rack strength

JaredP
04-07-2010, 02:12 AM
While I am certain I overbuilt my rack to hold 4 55 gallon tanks, I was curious if anyone had a calculator or formula to figure strength of the unit.

hedut
04-07-2010, 04:13 AM
here link http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumsandstands/a/tanksizesweights.htm of weight of tank

JaredP
04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
here link http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumsandstands/a/tanksizesweights.htm of weight of tank

Thanks,
What I was hoping for was a guide for the actual rack that you are building. Or perhaps someone can give me their opinion of my rack.

It is 34" by 50" The long 2x4"s extend 3.5" each side (so they are 57" long) to allow further mounting to the vertical 4x4's, and are connected by 6" long 1/2" bolts($4 a piece stainless steel bolts).

The platforms have 5 braces going across, (roughly every 10") The surface is just OSB, and the ends are boxed as well.

I don't know if that makes any sense. I'll take pictures and draw up diagrams, but I really think I overbuilt it. (I actually used one platform as a bridge to test it's strength and drove my tundra over it)

Darrell Ward
04-08-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm no expert, but I've built a few stands, racks in my day. I can say without a doubt that 9 out of 10 people overbuild stands and racks, including myself. Most people build with two bys, which are stronger than any commercial built wood stand. Commercial stands are almost always built using one by material. Also keep in mind, if you have glass tanks with plastic bottom frames, most of the weight of the tank stresses corners of the frame. Just look at a commercial stand, and notice how it is constructed. The "beef" is at the corners, the weakest point. The center of the stand is pretty thin. Something to keep in mind when building.

DiscusOnly
04-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Do a search on how Hans built his racks. All done with 2x4. Very efficient simple and when I was there a week ago, they still look very strong.

jeff@zina.com
04-12-2010, 01:52 PM
2x4 framing lumber, 13" on center with a 48" length, (effectively what you built) can support 4,400 pounds of live load. Provided your vertical members are under the 2x4 and not bolted along side it, you can support a Hyundai on your rack. On each level.

:)

Jeff

ifixoldhouses
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
2x3's are cheaper and plenty strong as well.