PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to SD

babillba
04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
So, I am new here, and while I am not even close to being an expert on discus or on plants, I do love both.

B/c I am new I thought I would post some pics of my newest discus tank.

It is a 55G with two 108W t5 lighting fixtures, so at almost 4WpG, I guess I am in the high end of the Medium range. I run three 6700K bulbs and 1 5000K bulb.

This feeds into a large sump that I made from a spare 20G High tank which runs at 15G full bringing in the total gallons at 70.

I hope you enjoy. Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.

waters10
04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
So, I am new here, and while I am not even close to being an expert on discus or on plants, I do love both.

B/c I am new I thought I would post some pics of my newest discus tank.

It is a 55G with two 108W t5 lighting fixtures, so at almost 4WpG, I guess I am in the high end of the Medium range. I run three 6700K bulbs and 1 5000K bulb.

This feeds into a large sump that I made from a spare 20G High tank which runs at 15G full bringing in the total gallons at 70.

I hope you enjoy. Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.
First, welcome!

You have 2 or 4 bulbs? Individual reflectors? I think you're well into high lighting, depending on the quality of your fixtures and assuming you have 4 bulbs. Do you dose ferts? CO2?

Since you'll be raising juvies on a planted tank, do a lot of research and establish a good maintenance routine. What you'll find around here, is that although possible, it's harder to raise juvies on a planted tank, with less room for error.

Good luck!

Eddie
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Nice tank and Welcome to Simply!

Eddie

babillba
04-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Both lighting units are dual reflectors, not individual. Pressurized CO2, dosing self mixed ferts. Utilizing all techniques learned from several years of reading Tom Barr's stuff. Have found a nice success there.

This is not first time of raising juvies in a planted world, second go-round, so I cannot say I am an amateur or newbie to discus upbringing, just a newbie to this particular forum.

Maintenance and discus? You mean there's maintenance involved?

I have my five-day routine with very regimented discipline over each day.

First, welcome!

You have 2 or 4 bulbs? Individual reflectors? I think you're well into high lighting, depending on the quality of your fixtures and assuming you have 4 bulbs. Do you dose ferts? CO2?

Since you'll be raising juvies on a planted tank, do a lot of research and establish a good maintenance routine. What you'll find around here, is that although possible, it's harder to raise juvies on a planted tank, with less room for error.

Good luck!

darkknight87
04-07-2010, 10:21 PM
sounds like you got a nice system
Welcome to Simply.

waters10
04-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Both lighting units are dual reflectors, not individual. Pressurized CO2, dosing self mixed ferts. Utilizing all techniques learned from several years of reading Tom Barr's stuff. Have found a nice success there.

This is not first time of raising juvies in a planted world, second go-round, so I cannot say I am an amateur or newbie to discus upbringing, just a newbie to this particular forum.

Maintenance and discus? You mean there's maintenance involved?

I have my five-day routine with very regimented discipline over each day.
Sounds like you were too modest on your first post! :D Maybe not an expert, but seasoned I'd say. You said you raised juvies on a planted tank. How did it go?

Can we get a full tank shot? :)

Elite Aquaria
04-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Welcome to Simply!

babillba
04-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Sounds like you were too modest on your first post! :D Maybe not an expert, but seasoned I'd say. You said you raised juvies on a planted tank. How did it go?

Can we get a full tank shot? :)

Thanks to all. I will get a full tank shot up later tonight (water change day anyhow).

"Seasoned"? I kinda like that. Makes me feel a little like a steak ready for the plate :D Seriously, thanks that is a nice compliment.

I attached two more pix. The close up is just a couple days old. The full tank shot is shortly after I got the new guys in. I have modified thing a little since, which will show later when I will put up full shots tonight. I just wasn't totally happy with a few things, so I altered it a bit.

babillba
04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Sorry, forgot to answer Water's question about juvies in a planted scape. I had a lot of luck I guess. I lost just one fish, one who never really seemed right from the get go anyhow. I used (and still do) cories and shrimp as my cleanup crew for the bottom of the tank. I fed (still do) Omega One flake 2x's each day and either beefheart, brine shrimp, bloodworms 2x's per day. I would not say that mine grew as quickly as what others have had, but i did have 7 of the 8 in the 5" or more range. One guy was about 4 1/2. All started at 2 to 2 1/2"

Elite Aquaria
04-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Your planted tank looks awesome...great job.