PDA

View Full Version : fat fish

GoingDiscus
04-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Is it bad to overfeed my Discus? I feed about 6 times a day and do my water changes accordingly, however today I was sitting here looking at my fish and noticed they are getting double chins and they always look like they have a beer belly. Is this a bad thing?
Ron

Jhhnn
04-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Is it bad to overfeed my Discus? I feed about 6 times a day and do my water changes accordingly, however today I was sitting here looking at my fish and noticed they are getting double chins and they always look like they have a beer belly. Is this a bad thing?
Ron

Not if they're still growing... just my opinion, of course...

GoingDiscus
04-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Yep they are still growing, most of the six I bought have well over doubled in size in the 2 months or so that Ive had them. One is a for sure runt and is at the bottom of the pecking order, I talked to one guy that told me he sees this alot and that there is nothing to worry about. He also told me that alot of times he has found that these smaller runts are alot of times females and they make for great parents. just gonna have to wait and see I reckon lol
Thanks for the reply Ron

darkknight87
04-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Yep they are still growing, most of the six I bought have well over doubled in size in the 2 months or so that Ive had them. One is a for sure runt and is at the bottom of the pecking order, I talked to one guy that told me he sees this alot and that there is nothing to worry about. He also told me that alot of times he has found that these smaller runts are alot of times females and they make for great parents. just gonna have to wait and see I reckon lol
Thanks for the reply Ron

Just have to be careful sometimes.
I had one that was my most aggressive eater and would get everything I dropped into the tank, and then oneday I came home and he had died from bloat because he ate too much..

GoingDiscus
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I have one that is very aggressive but at feeding time he/she will spend more time chasing the others away from the food and the rest dive in and get a bite. lol
Thanks for the great advice I will sure keep an eye on ole Billy, thats what we call him/her lol
Ron