PDA

View Full Version : Question on Quarantine Procedures

nc0gnet0
04-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I am just curious, when treating an ill fish, how many of you treat just an individual fish in a QT tank by himself, and how many have a "buddy" fish they use? It seem like this might help ease the stress of the sick fish by some small degree? Any opinions?

diamond_discus
04-12-2010, 11:09 PM
If a fish is sick, it;s staying in a hospital tank alone .. why take the chance to infect another fish ..

AirCapital
04-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I wouldnt use a buddy fish reason being know 2 fish are in contact with the elment in close quarters wich is double the problem imo. I use a qt tank and base it on the size of the fish and how many fish there are to treat not to big because meds are not cheap. so if I was to say treat a 1-2 full size discus I would use something like a 29.

nc0gnet0
04-12-2010, 11:47 PM
I think I was misunderstood, I didn't neccesarily meaning a buddy discus, smething more in the line of maybe a peacefull tetra or two, something I wouldn't fret over if I lost.....

AirCapital
04-13-2010, 12:34 AM
I think I was misunderstood, I didn't neccesarily meaning a buddy discus, smething more in the line of maybe a peacefull tetra or two, something I wouldn't fret over if I lost.....

lol..sorry when I saw and read it I thought hell I dont have discus but thats and easy one..lmao on a postive note...lol umm usually if I have a few fish that just kicked the crap out of each other and are torn up real bad I do a huge water change and medicate and I find turning the light down real low I use a 15watt bulb and first it doesnt stress me out if i cant see them torn up real bad which is the most important.:D and then I think it helps them stay in more of a calm state.I could see using tetras if the fish was able to defend itself and not to sickly. I have thought about getting tetras in some of my tanks to maybe lower the aggresion towords each other.

Eddie
04-13-2010, 08:15 AM

Nope, just the lone ill fish....plus I don't have any fish besides discus. :o

wesleydnunder
04-13-2010, 08:34 AM
I just treat the lone fish. There's no good reason to subject another fish to possibility of infection, as stated, and for a fish that isn't sick there also isn't a good reason to subject them to meds they don't need. I don't consider any fish disposable, tetra or otherwise.

nc0gnet0
04-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't consider any fish disposable, tetra or otherwise.

So then, you don't cull your hatch? Feeder goldfish to maybe an oscar? It's an interesting argument and a bit of a slippery slope. But for sake of argument, lets leave the moraility of it out of the argument for now.........

My line of thinking was that the less stress the sick fish is under, the more likely he is to recover. So, could adding another fish help reduse stress? This is were I wanted the discussion to go.....