PDA

View Full Version : UV sterilizer Question

neon
04-15-2010, 10:08 PM
I have a 55gal tank with 4 discus and 2 rams also 1 pleco. I have green water so I need to get UV sterilizer or diatom filter. But I think the UV sterilizer is the way to go. Is this a good UV sterilizer JBJ submariner 9watt for up to 100gals? If not what is a good UV sterilizer for a 55gal tank? Any help would be great thanks :fish:

Frankr409
04-16-2010, 07:54 AM
I have a 55gal tank with 4 discus and 2 rams also 1 pleco. I have green water so I need to get UV sterilizer or diatom filter. But I think the UV sterilizer is the way to go. Is this a good UV sterilizer JBJ submariner 9watt for up to 100gals? If not what is a good UV sterilizer for a 55gal tank? Any help would be great thanks :fish:

I'm anxious to hear the answer to this as well. I am looking at the 13 watt version for my 100 gallon tank. I like the fact that it has an integrated pump, filter and it claims to have matched the pump flow to the kill time on the lamp.

bmrin1
04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
If it were me I would start off by reducing your period of time the lights are on cut your food back a little and do some water changes. If that does not take care of it then go with the UV. Sorry I have no experience with UV but I am sure my suggestions will work.

Brian

deepflyball
04-16-2010, 12:58 PM

I have a uv and love it. It will make your water clear,pluss it kills bugs.

Jerry

jeff@zina.com
04-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Green water isn't justification for a UV Sterilizer, it's an indication that you have an overabundance of something. Light, fertilizers, especially nitrates, etc. contribute to green water. Work on correcting what causes the green water before you simply kill the plant material that is balancing the overabundance of the other things. Otherwise you're left with too much light/fertilizer/nitrate/etc. and no green water organisms to handle it.

Jeff

Frankr409
04-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Green water isn't justification for a UV Sterilizer, it's an indication that you have an overabundance of something. Light, fertilizers, especially nitrates, etc. contribute to green water. Work on correcting what causes the green water before you simply kill the plant material that is balancing the overabundance of the other things. Otherwise you're left with too much light/fertilizer/nitrate/etc. and no green water organisms to handle it.

Jeff

And don't forget phosphates which creep into the tank in the form of food, and or chemicals that are used to manage PH.

Bacano
05-20-2010, 12:21 AM
I agree completely. But would still probably get a uv just because it also kills organisms in the water. You haveto get the right wattage though.