PDA

View Full Version : Cigars? any afficianados out there?

brewmaster15
04-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Well I am Psyched... Have some nice cigars on their way to stock up the old humidor... A bit of an early Birthday Present to myself... I don't smoke cigars all the time, but I enjoy a good cigar once in while.(emphasis on GOOD cigars)...Coupled with a glass of dry red wine, glass of whiskey or good homebrew....The combination is unbeatable.Worst vice I have...none the less..I enjoy them.

Anyone else?

This cigar order has a few gems on it...foremost is an Ashton.. I've always enjoyed Ashtons, but I recently tried an upscale version..

Ashton VSG (virgin sun grown) and this cigar is awesome....Just a great cigar.... expensive but WOWWW.

Also have some CAO blacks, Diesels, and H upmans on the list as box fillers.

-al

LizStreithorst
04-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Well I am Psyched... Have some nice cigars on their way to stock up the old humidor... A bit of an early Birthday Present to myself... I don't smoke cigars all the time, but I enjoy a good cigar once in while.(emphasis on GOOD cigars)...Coupled with a glass of dry red wine, glass of whiskey or good homebrew....The combination is unbeatable.Worst vice I have...none the less..I enjoy them.

Anyone else?

This cigar order has a few gems on it...foremost is an Ashton.. I've always enjoyed Ashtons, but I recently tried an upscale version..

Ashton VSG (virgin sun grown) and this cigar is awesome....Just a great cigar.... expensive but WOWWW.

Also have some CAO blacks, Diesels, and H upmans on the list as box fillers.

-al

Yes, me!!!! Macanudo Ascots are my faves. Imported cigars are so expensive that when I order I'm chicken to try others. In my next order I think I'll give some of the ones you mentioned a try.

brewmaster15
04-19-2010, 09:43 AM
One of my wifes Favorite Pics of me ..leisure time at the lake fishing...It doesn't get much better than that!

-al

brewmaster15
04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi Liz,
Those CAO blacks and Diesels are really bold flavors...great smokes...

The Ashtons are great all around , especially if you like macanudo....One that you should try for sure is marketed thru CigarsInternational.com
called 5vegas..Try the classic or the Gold..... extremely well priced and an excellent smoke.

-al

seanyuki
04-19-2010, 09:53 AM
I also enjoyed my times in Hong Kong smoking Cohiba cigars with JW Blue label.....good old times:p

LizStreithorst
04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
It will be a month before I order again. I have always used FamousSmokeShop.com. I'll use your CigarsInternational next time and try the Ashton VGS and 5Vegas. Thanks for the recomedations.

Moon
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Cohibas are my favourites. We can get Cuban cigars here in Canada. But quite expensive at $25 each. Works out to about a $1 a puff. Upmans are quite nice as well and reasonably priced. During the summer I spend most of the weekend doing yard work. At the end of the day I just sit back with a good cigar and a single malt.
Ahh La Dolce Vita.

dmun24
04-19-2010, 04:40 PM
hi i like a good cuban may have some coming in a week or so dennis

roclement
04-19-2010, 06:12 PM
currently smoking...

Fonseca Cubano Viso Fuerte
Tatuaje
Camacho Scorpion
Perdomo Lot 23

Favorite cigar - Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage...dream cigar for me!
Favorite cigar beverage - JW Blue

Somking at this moment...Camacho...

Life is good! I have a wholesale account via work with Holts Cigars...

Rodrigo

erikc
04-21-2010, 08:21 AM
In Europe we do get Cuban cigars, I must admit I do like the Cohibas, just close to that would be the Davidoff (excellent cigar).

Favourite drink .... well being in France and all that, gotta be a large Cognac V.S.O.P..

This is the way it's done in the land of DeGaulle :after a large Sunday lunch (preferably 6 coursres), a glass in one hand and a cigar in the other. You gently swirl the cognac about in a miniature goldfish bowl (oaky it's called a glass but it doesn't look like one), slowly you raise the temperature of the cognace to that of your body through the contact of your hand on the glass. Gently sniff in the aromas from the cognac, take a gentle drag on you cigar .... pure unadulterated pleasure !

Greenheinie
04-21-2010, 11:00 AM
You JW Blue drinkers should step up to a quality single malt for half the price. Blue label is nice to show off, but there's better to be had for a lot less $$$.

/slips in to flame retardant suit.

LizStreithorst
04-21-2010, 01:00 PM
I'll stick with good old weak American beer...Drink all day with little effect;)

brewmaster15
04-21-2010, 03:49 PM
In Europe we do get Cuban cigars, I must admit I do like the Cohibas, just close to that would be the Davidoff (excellent cigar).

Favourite drink .... well being in France and all that, gotta be a large Cognac V.S.O.P..

This is the way it's done in the land of DeGaulle :after a large Sunday lunch (preferably 6 coursres), a glass in one hand and a cigar in the other. You gently swirl the cognac about in a miniature goldfish bowl (oaky it's called a glass but it doesn't look like one), slowly you raise the temperature of the cognace to that of your body through the contact of your hand on the glass. Gently sniff in the aromas from the cognac, take a gentle drag on you cigar .... pure unadulterated pleasure !

Lol Erik!!...love the technique...but ...If it were me in France (someday)...I'd be modifying that technique slightly...removing the Cognac from the process (oh boy Bad Bad memories with that one:() and replace with some fine Dry French Red wines and that my friend is my version of one form of pure unadulterated Pleasure!:D:D:D:D:D:D

all the best,
al

ps...cigar heaven was reached...package recieved!:bandana:

Moon
04-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Much as I love a good XO Cognac I would stick to a single malt.

erikc
04-22-2010, 03:54 AM
Much as I love a good XO Cognac I would stick to a single malt.

LOL, okay if it's an Islay, or even better how about a Highland Park ?

Hey, Al , if ever you are in France, give me a shout. I'll take you to Normandy where we can seriously indulge in this little pleasure !

brewmaster15
04-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Hey, Al , if ever you are in France, give me a shout. I'll take you to Normandy where we can seriously indulge in this little pleasure ! Now thats a plan..Thanks Erik!:)

take care,
al

MSD
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I also enjoyed my times in Hong Kong smoking Cohiba cigars with JW Blue label.....good old times:p

Francis, smoking will stunt your growth!! :)

seanyuki
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Lol Mark.....anyway I am already reached maximum height.....also like brandy too lol.

Francis, smoking will stunt your growth!! :)

roclement
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
I might be there soon Eric, my borthe is in Lyon (spelling?) and I will be visiting soon!

Rod

brewmaster15
04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
borthe hmm..too much vino and cigar?:D:D:D:D

-al

roclement
04-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I wish! At work right now, all I tasted today were four new Vodkas and one Port...keeping it light today!!!

Anyone familiar with Acid Cigars? I got a request today for some.

Rodrigo

seanyuki
04-22-2010, 10:21 PM
These days only drinking cheap Vodkas.....not gonna spend on Vodka like Grey Goose.....why this vodka so expensive?.....rather buy a bottle of Gordon Bleu my all time favorite.

I wish! At work right now, all I tasted today were four new Vodkas and one Port...keeping it light today!!!

Anyone familiar with Acid Cigars? I got a request today for some.

Rodrigo

erikc
04-23-2010, 03:50 AM
I might be there soon Eric, my borthe is in Lyon (spelling?) and I will be visiting soon!

Rod

I'm in Paris, not that far but you will see that everything is a different scale here. Lyon is spelled right bit I'm not sure about your "borthe" :D

Gimme a shout and maybe we can meet up !

brewmaster15
04-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi Rod,
Acid cigars are put out by Drew Estates.. They are a well reputed cigar but a bit different. Each of the Acid line tobaccos are aged in special rooms lined with herbs and oils before rolling which gives the cigar its various flavors.... Some love this...for others its a bit too designer ... I've had a couple that were good... The Acid Opulence 3 ...that has an an awesome Maduro wrapper.

I just picked up some of Drew estates Naturals... and I was abit disappointed.. They sweetened the tip of the cigar with something that I swear tasted like nutrasweet...It was way too much...I guess if you like flavored cigars they are good...but not for me.

All the best,
al`

roclement
04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks Al! Tonight is a Davidoff night on the drive home from work...

rodrigo

Eddie
04-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Lol Erik!!...love the technique...but ...If it were me in France (someday)...I'd be modifying that technique slightly...removing the Cognac from the process (oh boy Bad Bad memories with that one:() and replace with some fine Dry French Red wines and that my friend is my version of one form of pure unadulterated Pleasure!:D:D:D:D:D:D

all the best,
al

ps...cigar heaven was reached...package recieved!:bandana:

Nice Al, that does sound like a nice combination! Done the Dry Reds in France but never tried it with a cigar! I will have to try that one next time.

Take care,
Eddie

erikc
04-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Nice Al, that does sound like a nice combination! Done the Dry Reds in France but never tried it with a cigar! I will have to try that one next time.

Take care,
Eddie

You should come over with your wife Eddie ! Don't worry, there's more to France than shopping or visiting relatives ;)

Eddie
04-26-2010, 09:04 AM
You should come over with your wife Eddie ! Don't worry, there's more to France than shopping or visiting relatives ;)

LOL, I'm sure there is....but try explaining that to the wife! Every time we go back, I feel like a taxi cab driver, except I'm not getting paid! lol :o

erikc
04-26-2010, 09:53 AM
LOL, I'm sure there is....but try explaining that to the wife! Every time we go back, I feel like a taxi cab driver, except I'm not getting paid! lol :o

Damm .... looks like we'll have to find you an excuse next time you're over :D:D

dadecountyalan
06-25-2011, 06:19 PM
i know im late on this but al i think you and my grandpa could have a real good conversation about this. he is a cigar junkie. really is a old school cuban(even though he came here when he was 18).

roundfishross
06-25-2011, 06:38 PM
just saw this one as well....i'm partial to the macallen 21 and an A. fuente short story:D

roclement
06-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Both great choices!!! Maybe that's what I will do when I get home tonight fter work! Anyone up for it?

As a mind opener for all of you afficionados out ther that are willing to get of the beaten path, try your hands at Kuba Deluxe by Acid Cigars. Not something I would smoke everyday but a nice summery cigar, no compromise...just different.

Rodrigo

brewmaster15
06-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Hey Rod,
I've had a few of Drew Estates, just can't get a liking for the flavored or infused cigars.

I haven't had half as much opportunity as I would like to enjoy a good cigar in a while.. but I did stumble on a really good inexpensive one .I usually shop at CigarsInternational.com http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=CS-GAF&stext=Gran%20Habano

Gran Habano Corojo Vintage 2002 ...Its like champagne on a budweiser budget. :)

This is the the 90-rated Corojo #5 blend composed of full-bodied, Habano-seed long-fillers from Nicaragua and Dominican but it boasts a juicy Nicaraguan-grown Corojo wrapper leaf cultivated back in 2002, one which has enjoyed an extended cedar-nap for the past 8 years. The outcome is virtuous: a deep series of rich, creamy flavors smacking of coffee, nuts, and earth tamed by the smooth, Cuban-esque qualities of a well-aged Corojo leaf. The smoke remains medium to full-bodied, but maintains a wonderful balance and long, elegant finish For an all around smoke...this baby is a gem and the price is killer.

Aside from that. I have been real happy this past year with...

5 vegas series "A" and cask strength
Montecristo white label
Nubs
Ashton VSG and ESG
Greycliff Turbo and G2
Cubre Libre One
Cu-Avana Intenso

hth,
al

brewmaster15
06-28-2011, 07:52 AM
My wife did however catch me having a cigar moment last week...I've had the Hammock for years... My wife bought me a new mesh for it for my birthday back in April....Been so busy I haven't used it much but last week was great... Mowed the lawn, grabbed a cigar, book,MP3 player and a margarita and hit the hammock until the skeeters chased me in.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67257&d=1309261958
-al

Cevoe
06-28-2011, 08:19 AM
It's funny this thread popped-up this morning since I just started in with the stogies again last Saturday.
After a few months of just not being interested I lit up an A.Fuente (which is not a usual brand for me) and liked it so much I had a LaRoma later the same night.
It looks like I am back on the sticks.
Someone was telling me in a meeting last week about Cigar International so I will have to check them out.
I have been a JR Cigar customer for a few years and I tend to go for the 5-pack deals for a good sample of different smokes.
If anyone is interested, here are a few of my favorites.

El Rey Del Mundo Robusto (All time favorite)
Montecristos (Various)
CAO Extreme
La Gloria Cubana Serie R
Excalibur IV
Playboy Lonesdale
Romeos (Various)
Highly Recommended "Cheap" Smokes: Consuergas and, believe it or not, Genuine Pre-Embargo Counterfeit Cubans.

Moon
06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Cohibas and Montechristos are my favs. Cubans of course. We can get them in Canada.

MostlyDiscus
07-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Cuban Punch double corona. Hand made and a little hard to draw at first, but when they smoke down the flavors come out to play. Ed

LizStreithorst
07-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Cuban Punch double corona. Hand made and a little hard to draw at first, but when they smoke down the flavors come out to play. Ed

Oh yeah, I smoked one of those once. Best cigar I ever smoked.

Santos hugo
08-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi

Cohiba or Montecristo mixed with a good botle of red from our Alentejo, are one of the best things I can still enjoy!

brewmaster15
08-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi

Cohiba or Montecristo mixed with a good botle of red from our Alentejo, are one of the best things I can still enjoy! I just did a net search on "Alentejo" sounds like an interesting region...
http://www.cellartours.com/portugal/portuguese-wine-regions/alentejo.html

I'll have to see if i can find it here in the USA...would you recommend any of these...

http://www.snooth.com/wines/alentejo/
thanks,
-al

YSS
08-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Montecristo #2 and good scotch! MacAllen 18 would do for me even though 21 would be even better.

Santos hugo
08-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I just did a net search on "Alentejo" sounds like an interesting region...

I'll have to see if i can find it here in the USA...would you recommend any of these...

thanks,
-al

Well...that will depend on the year of course, but any "Quinta do Carmo" or a "bacalhôa" (red´s) will definitely be a good start and a good end, with a nice meal between! :)
I´m shure you will find it.

Hugo.

brewmaster15
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks Hugo!

-al

foreese
08-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm partial to Padron, 64's.

roclement
08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Well...that will depend on the year of course, but any "Quinta do Carmo" or a "bacalhôa" (red´s) will definitely be a good start and a good end, with a nice meal between! :)
I´m shure you will find it.

Hugo.

Quinta do Carmo ordered...Obrigado amigo Hugo!

Rodrigo

Moon
08-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Montecristo #2 and good scotch! MacAllen 18 would do for me even though 21 would be even better.

Ahhhh just what I like on a Saturday evening.

Santos hugo
08-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Quinta do Carmo ordered...Obrigado amigo Hugo!

Rodrigo

Rodrigo... your name sounds really familiar! You have not yet drink the wine...how are you spelling Portuguese?
You should only be able to that after the wine...:)
Have a nice drink, hope you guys enjoy it!
I´m enjoying this room, "no water works!" ;)

Cheers

Trier20
05-07-2012, 12:13 PM
The CAO vision is fantastic! Each cigar has a serial number! They're about 15 bucks a pop at the smoke shop here but this is an AMAZING stick!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?twvlqy
-Brandon

scubajustin
05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Al,

My favorite cigar is J Fuego 777 (black) - this is a great smoke!

Justin

scubajustin
05-07-2012, 02:13 PM
currently smoking...

Fonseca Cubano Viso Fuerte
Tatuaje
Camacho Scorpion
Perdomo Lot 23

Favorite cigar - Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage...dream cigar for me!
Favorite cigar beverage - JW Blue

Somking at this moment...Camacho...

Life is good! I have a wholesale account via work with Holts Cigars...

Rodrigo

Rodrigo,

I agree - Rocky Patel 1990 is a very good smoke!!

Justin

LizStreithorst
05-07-2012, 03:03 PM
The best cigar I ever smoked was a Punch. It was a cigar with a dark leaf wrapper. I don't like the Punch as a rule. I find them strong but lacking in flavor. I perfer a light outer skin to a dark. But THIS cigar was recommended to be by a guy at a cigar shop who said, "If you really want a good smoke, try this". The dang thing cost a lot, but the guy was right. Best smoke I've ever had.

foreese
05-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm partial to Padron's 64 Annivisario, but if you like the Aston VSG try the ESG!

roybas
05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I love Ashton VSG's love that light pepper taste, a little like Opus X.

My favorite for the last couple of years has been Padron 1926 in any vitola!

Roy