PDA

View Full Version : Help My Discus Are Sick: Disease Questionaire

Kingfisher
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

I've had Discus for about 2 month now. About two weeks ago I added a few new fish to my fish tank. They looked really healthy at the start but now they appear sick.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

The sick fish turn dark, does not eat, has clamped fins, darts, one gill is clamped, skin color yellow, stands at the top of the tank away from others and sometimes rub against the rocks. The area around the gills and mouth are noticeably darker. Poop appears normal brown. The pectoral fin spasms once in awhile.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I have added salt and increased the temp to 90 degrees. I do not want to medicate until I collect more info from other hobbiest.

Tank/Water
4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

112 gallon with 12 fish. They range from 3.5" to 5.5".

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Gravel tank with rocks. 60% water change every 3 days. I have had the tank running for 3 months; 2 months with fish. I planted gravel from an established tank and swapped filters.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____86

- ph _____7.1-7.2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____less than 5ppm, at most 10ppm

- well water ____No

- municipal water ____Yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Yes, two weeks ago.

diamond_discus
04-19-2010, 12:55 PM
You should post this at the Disease section. Anyway, is this sick fish the new fish you added ? Do you have a hospital tank ? I suggest you move the sick fish to the hospital tank right away .. I will let other expert to help you on how to treat the sick fish.