PDA

View Full Version : sponge filters???

Faydra
04-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Hello!

I am new to discus but I have been reading many great things on this forum!

One thing that I have noticed is that almost everyone here uses a "sponge filter". I have seen these in discus aquariums before however I have no idea how they work or where I can get them. I tried my local pet store but they only sell the Fluval canister filters (which is what I already have) and other brand names. I plan on setting up a 20-30 gallon BB breeding tank fairly soon and from what I have been reading a sponge filter is the way to go.

Where do I get them? How do they work? Why are they so much better? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

deepflyball
04-21-2010, 12:51 PM
We have sponsors that sell them. Sterns and foster has them. They are rated to tank size. You just hook an airline to them and the other end to a small air pump and go Jerry

Hello!

I am new to discus but I have been reading many great things on this forum!

One thing that I have noticed is that almost everyone here uses a "sponge filter". I have seen these in discus aquariums before however I have no idea how they work or where I can get them. I tried my local pet store but they only sell the Fluval canister filters (which is what I already have) and other brand names. I plan on setting up a 20-30 gallon BB breeding tank fairly soon and from what I have been reading a sponge filter is the way to go.

Where do I get them? How do they work? Why are they so much better? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Turbofx98
04-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi,
All you need to do is attach an airline and pump. As water passes through the sponge, it filters out small debris. Bacteria colonizes on the sponge and you just clean it out by squeezing it in the bucket that you use to change your water. It is perfect for a breeding tank because it will not suck up small fry. It ranges from $3 U.S. to $20 depending on the size. You can find it at LFS or online and through the sponsors. Good luck

diamond_discus
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
See this link : http://kensfish.com/aticompletefilters.html
Ken is one of our sponsor.

All you need is an air pump, tubing, and probably an airstone.

Eddie
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Why are they so much better? :confused:

They are cheap, easy to run, easy to clean and they have a HUGE surface area for beneficial bacteria.

Eddie

waters10
04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
You can also use a powerhead to run a sponge.

You gotta clean sponges regularly, otherwise they get clogged. I've never run a sponge with a powerhead, but it might clog even faster. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Eddie
04-21-2010, 01:36 PM

You gotta clean sponges regularly, otherwise they get clogged. I've never run a sponge with a powerhead, but it might clog even faster. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I've never had a sponge filter clog...ever, with air or a powerhead. :o

Justice
04-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Just one little heads up try to buy Hydro Sponge Filters with the PRO Sponge's (reticulated foam) You will thank Yourself for that choice many times later.

Eddie
04-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Just one little heads up try to buy Hydro Sponge Filters with the PRO Sponge's (reticulated foam) You will thank Yourself for that choice many times later.

+1, go with the pros

waters10
04-21-2010, 02:11 PM
I've never had a sponge filter clog...ever, with air or a powerhead. :o
I never had a sponge that was completely clogged, I don't think, but I did have a sponge that had reduced flow, It was clear, because food and poo always accumulate around my sponge, on the bottom of the tank. But after a while, it stopped that. I cleaned the sponge (it was dirty!) and noticed food and poo around the sponge again.

Eddie
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I never had a sponge that was completely clogged, I don't think, but I did have a sponge that had reduced flow, It was clear, because food and poo always accumulate around my sponge, on the bottom of the tank. But after a while, it stopped that. I cleaned the sponge (it was dirty!) and noticed food and poo around the sponge again.

LOL, I was thinking...that sponge would have to had been running for a long time without a squeeze! :o

waters10
04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
LOL, I was thinking...that sponge would have to had been running for a long time without a squeeze! :o
Yeah, it was filthy ... :o I was a newbie that never had sponge filters before!

Btw, after I started using a magnum with micron filter, I can go 4-5 times longer with my sponges without a squeeze!

diamond_discus
04-21-2010, 03:41 PM
I clean and squeeze my sponge during each water change (daily or every other day). Never clog ... That's the only filter I use in my breeding tanks.

Spardas
04-21-2010, 04:21 PM
I also squeeze the sponge filter everyday if I'm home.

It becomes a habit after awhile, :D.

tcyiu
04-21-2010, 04:42 PM
How do they work? Why are they so much better?

Faydra,
Welcome to SD. You don't need to get one just because "everyone has one."

Sponge filters have their uses. If you happen NOT to need them, don't buy and put one in "just because."

The general principle is that something takes water out through the uplift tubes. Normally this is air. Sometimes it is with a power head (an electrical pump).

Water flows into the sponge to replace the water that is expelled. Since the sponge has a large surface area, and big air bubbles only lift very little water, this means that the inflow is VERY gentle. Therefore, sponge filters are VERY good for tanks with baby discus.

Also, since the flow is slow, and sponges have a lot of surface area internally, a very large colony of good bacteria can be grown and this will really help keep the ammonia and nitrites in check in between water changes. Lastly, the air bubbles are good for agitating the surface of the water which means that the water will have lots of oxygen.

Lastly, they are cheap in comparison with other filters.

Those are the pros. The cons are: I think they are unsightly especially if your tank is primarily ornamental (this of course is highly subjective). Taking the sponge out for the daily rinse is a pain, and some of the gunk may fall back in the water. And for me, the deal killer is the need for an air pump. I can't stand the noise.

If you have a working biological filter and you are not breeding discus, I would skip on having sponge filters entirely. They have a lot of benefits, but sponge filters are NOT a "must have" item just because you have discus.

Tim

Jhhnn
04-21-2010, 07:25 PM
My #3 ATI sponge filters get squeezed out every couple of weeks in a bucket of tank water. I also use small airstones under the bullseyes to keep 'em quiet, and have dispensed with the clear chimneys entirely. Ken sells extra steps or risers to go under 'em, which I use to make siphoning away the detritus a little easier...

They're not really designed to act on the big stuff, but rather on the small floaty bits and on the water itself via the biological processes of bacteria that colonize 'em...

It just takes an air pump, manifold w/valves, tubing and (optionally) some of Ken's smallest airstones to get 'em going. Tubing is cheap from Ken- buy lots.

They don't want to sink very well when new, so I pack the insides with ball bearings or marbles at first to weigh 'em down...

Several members swear by the inexpensive and quiet fusion 700 air pump for smaller installations.... haven't tried 'em myself...

Faydra
04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks to all who responded! I do want to set up a breeding tank eventually but no one in my town sells the filters. Anyone have any idea where in Canada I could find one? Preferably the BC area?

Jhhnn
04-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks to all who responded! I do want to set up a breeding tank eventually but no one in my town sells the filters. Anyone have any idea where in Canada I could find one? Preferably the BC area?

Check with April, one of our sponsors-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Darrell Ward
04-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm anxious to try some sponge filters made from blocks of 4" thick Poret foam. Unfortunately, I used my only 2 sheets in one of my sumps, so I need to get more.

Skip
07-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks tim.. good advice to for us newbies

Discus master
07-28-2010, 12:29 PM

I just hold my syphon tube rite into the sponge all over it fairly good amount of pressure deep into the sponge all the way around it I do the same thing with my pre fitler sponge so I guess thats cleaning it good enoguh that it wont clog?

Willie
07-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Squeeze your sponges at least once a month, folks. Otherwise, it's like changing engine oil without putting in a new oil filter!

Willie

Brown
08-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Sponge filter are def. A +1 they house a gianormous amount of benificial bacteria and maintaing them are a breeze. And since discus tend to like slow current the sponges don't over agitate the water

Jennie
08-05-2010, 07:19 AM
I run my hydro 5 with one and no problems, Considering how often we clean the tanks and change water, that is. I clean mine in a bucket of tank water every 2 weeks.