PDA

View Full Version : Smoking homes and Discus

Double Up
04-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Anyone know if smoking can affect aquariums/discus ??? My dirtbag roommate down here smokes 2 packs a day with zero ventilation. I'm starting to wonder if it is affecting my fish? :confused:

whitedevil
04-25-2010, 02:04 PM
tell him to open a window or turn on the bathroom or oven vent fan.

I smoke a pack a day, and my wife maybe 6-8 ciggs a day and my aquariums are open tops and no visible or tested effects are there. Id assume no because it goes UP but im not a scientist.

Frankr409
04-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Anyone know if smoking can affect aquariums/discus ??? My dirtbag roommate down here smokes 2 packs a day with zero ventilation. I'm starting to wonder if it is affecting my fish? :confused:

I don't think anyone needs to tell you how toxic second hand cigarette smoke is. I would be more concerned with your safety if I were you as it is a known health hazard to people.

My guess is that there is some amount of toxicity transfer to the surface area of the water since cigarette smoke ultimately goes everywhere, up down, and all around.

Larry Bugg
04-25-2010, 02:17 PM
+1

It's killing you!

Wahter
04-25-2010, 02:32 PM
I google'd this and found a couple of posts...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090416122857AAsK0D5

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/smoking-cigarettes-in-the-same-room-as-your-tank-40314.html

If you're running an air pump, it's undoubtedly sucking in some smoke and blowing it into the water. Cigarette smoke goes everywhere - clothes, windows, etc... and non-smokers can tell very quickly. :)

Walter

Darrell Ward
04-25-2010, 03:08 PM

Place must smell like a burned out building. I'd find a new roommate. It's probably affecting your health more than the fish.

Double Up
04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Place must smell like a burned out building. I'd find a new roommate. It's probably affecting your health more than the fish.

It smells like a trailer park threw up in here on most days.

Double Up
04-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I ask this question because I never had a problem with discus getting sick at my old place(smoke-free). The tank setup is exactly the same.

joanr
04-25-2010, 07:02 PM
You can buy check valves with tiny air filters built in them, they cost a buck more but would probably help a bit. Also replace the filters on your air pumps if they are removable ones. I'd also buy a tower air purifier like the Honeywell and place it in the room with the tank. That's what I do. My hubby smokes and that air purifier really helps clean it up.

Jhhnn
04-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Both the wife and I smoke. I quit everything else years ago, and there was plenty to quit... I have a central airpump in the cellar, away from smoking in general, and I figure that the slight positive pressure under the glass lids of the tanks mostly keeps smoke out. Fish I've acquired from Kenny are ridiculously healhty- can't say the same for all the fish I've acquired. I've considered making a box with a chamber for activated carbon to filter the pump's intake air, but haven't done it...

Joanr's suggestion is good, they always are.

The effects of secondhand smoke, while not good, are widely exaggerated as a way for non-smokers to push their tax burden off on smokers... but that's a different subject...