PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Discus Strains

setarei
04-26-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm planning out my tank and I've found some information that it's best to have all the discus in the tank be the same strain. Is that really necessary? I don't plan on mixing wild with domestic but I wanted a mix of different colours (leopards, blue diamonds, albinos,...). Would that be ok?

hedut
04-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I mix all kinda discus they look ok :) and I do have wild heckel mix with domestic :p:p:p:p

Eddie
04-26-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm planning out my tank and I've found some information that it's best to have all the discus in the tank be the same strain. Is that really necessary? I don't plan on mixing wild with domestic but I wanted a mix of different colours (leopards, blue diamonds, albinos,...). Would that be ok?

Its a personal preference, I only like the red jelly beans. :D

waters10
04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
A lot of people prefer single strain on the same tank. But if you can only have 1 tank and can't pick only one strain, don't feel bad about having multiple strains! :)

setarei
04-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Ok good, so it's more of personal aesthetic taste issue and not a health issue.

Eddie
04-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Ok good, so it's more of personal aesthetic taste issue and not a health issue.

Health issues can be directly related to mixing sources, not strains.

Eddie

setarei
04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks, that clears it up. People must have been meaning sources when they were talking about strains or maybe I just read it wrong.

erikc
04-27-2010, 07:56 AM

If you are going to mix, why not, but they have to be all from the same source to avoid any disapointement.

setarei
04-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Great, thanks.

darkknight87
04-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Im very differant strained mined, I don't have more than two of any strain..
Ofcourse, Ixe also had to mix sources over the years because I had to find discus where I could, and I only have one tank....but if I were starting out fresh Id have them all from the same source..
Still differant strains though :D