PDA

View Full Version : Discus body shape..

sthai75
04-27-2010, 02:39 PM
The Discus I've available locally all have a pointier head than what I've seen on the internet of other adult discus that seem to be more "rounder". The younger juveniles also demonstrate this "pointier" look aswell. Is this something that with age they become more "rounder" or is this a different category of discus fish in terms of shape. I find the rounder discus are much more attractive.

John_Nicholson
04-27-2010, 02:58 PM
In my opinion a quality discus is round. A pointed face would be a mark against the fish in a show. Young fish do round out os the grow but they should not start out really pointed. If you look at the parents and they are pointed then chances are the offspring will be too.

-john

P.S. I see that you are in Austin. I hope you can make it to the NADA show in June.

sthai75
04-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I am in a never ending search for the perfectly shaped Discus. Which seems near impossible with my LFS. Thanks for your insight. Will there be quality discus for sale at the Dallas show?

JaredP
04-27-2010, 03:18 PM
I am in a never ending search for the perfectly shaped Discus. Which seems near impossible with my LFS. Thanks for your insight. Will there be quality discus for sale at the Dallas show?

Everyone is bringing their best fish to hopefully win, so I suspect you will find some keepers there =D

John_Nicholson
04-27-2010, 03:24 PM
There will be an auction on Sunday. I would suspect that at least some of the show fish will make there way into it.

-john

DerekFF
04-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Bring your wallet with a lot of green if youre buying show fish!

Keith Perkins
04-27-2010, 10:21 PM
But if you want some near perfect fish, the shine from your smile will blind you from the green you're spending. :D

LizStreithorst
04-28-2010, 12:08 AM
It takes a while to develop an eye. Juvies often appear pointed because they are not yet old enough for the body to catch up with the head. In juvies you need to look at the actual body of the fish only. You don't want to see a torpedo shaped body. A good juvie has a round body.

In the best quality adult fish you sould ideally see a perfectly round front smoothly blended with just lips sticking out. We never see this but, I IMO it is the ideal.

The Discus I've available locally all have a pointier head than what I've seen on the internet of other adult discus that seem to be more "rounder". The younger juveniles also demonstrate this "pointier" look aswell. Is this something that with age they become more "rounder" or is this a different category of discus fish in terms of shape. I find the rounder discus are much more attractive.

srusso
04-28-2010, 11:59 AM
It takes a while to develop an eye. Juvies often appear pointed because they are not yet old enough for the body to catch up with the head. In juvies you need to look at the actual body of the fish only. You don't want to see a torpedo shaped body. A good juvie has a round body.

In the best quality adult fish you sould ideally see a perfectly round front smoothly blended with just lips sticking out. We never see this but, I IMO it is the ideal.

are we talking round when top and bottom fins are erect?

pcsb23
04-29-2010, 06:52 PM
are we talking round when top and bottom fins are erect?
Hope the attached helps :) note the dorsal isn't perfect on this fish...