PDA

View Full Version : Another FDBW testimonial...

ExReefer
04-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Kenny sent me a sample of FDBW’s with my last order of discus. I tried them last night for the first time. Wow! My fish go nuts for these. What’s more amazing is that I had been feeding live CBW’s for the past few months and my fish had no problem with the switch to FDBW’s. I know this may sound crazy, but the fish seem more excited about these than the live version. It could be the competitive nature and feeding style that makes them feed on these so well. When I stick a ball of them onto the glass wall, they become very competitive and rush to see who can eat them the fastest. I think that behavior makes the discus feed with more purpose and at a faster rate.
Any worms that fall off the glass get grabbed as they flow around the water column and the worms that get stuck to the prefilters get picked off by the discus. It’s an incredibly clean food to feed and should keep my water quality up between WC’s.

I ordered 500 grams last night. No more rinsing live CBW’s for me. No more trips to the local pet store to pick up CBW’s.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see if the spawning pattern continues with FDBW’s. One of my pairs spawns every 7-14 days. The free swimming fry end up getting picked off the cardinal tetra.

waters10
04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Kenny sent me a sample of FDBW’s with my last order of discus. I tried them last night for the first time. Wow! My fish go nuts for these. What’s more amazing is that I had been feeding live CBW’s for the past few months and my fish had no problem with the switch to FDBW’s. I know this may sound crazy, but the fish seem more excited about these than the live version. It could be the competitive nature and feeding style that makes them feed on these so well. When I stick a ball of them onto the glass wall, they become very competitive and rush to see who can eat them the fastest. I think that behavior makes the discus feed with more purpose and at a faster rate.
Any worms that fall off the glass get grabbed as they flow around the water column and the worms that get stuck to the prefilters get picked off by the discus. It’s an incredibly clean food to feed and should keep my water quality up between WC’s.

I ordered 500 grams last night. No more rinsing live CBW’s for me. No more trips to the local pet store to pick up CBW’s.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see if the spawning pattern continues with FDBW’s. One of my pairs spawns every 7-14 days. The free swimming fry end up getting picked off the cardinal tetra.
Yep. The whole thing about the floating problem, is actually what makes this such a clean food! Nothing hits the bottom of the tank and more and more I think it should be the food of choice for planted tanks! Your discus does not eat from the top? No problem! Either stick to the glass, or use feeder cones upside down (that's what I do). Everything get eaten really fast!

My problem so far, is that one of my discus gets too greedy, gets his mouth full from the cone and spits most of it. Those worms end up floating. Not a huge problem, cause my aquaclear HOB brings those down and are readily eaten anyway. And one of my discus eat from the top, if it stays there too long.

nc0gnet0
04-30-2010, 02:36 PM

For what its worth, I had a pair spawn right after a mal's FDBW feast....And I agree that the inverted cone is the best way to go.

RodneyL001
05-03-2010, 09:00 AM
That is a good idea to get your fish to try FDBW since my fish don't like eating from the top either.

brewmaster15
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Glad it worked out well for you Jeff with those FD Blackworms.... Kenny did me a huge favor by sending out some samples with that last fish order ..

Thanks again for the order !

-al

Discus-n00b
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I've just "trained" my white butterfly pair to wait at the top for worms. :) Its easy with this food. And i've have similar luck with spawning, or at least dancing right after they eat. Such a great food.

MGKelly
05-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I recently purchased a 200g bag and my discus love it.
I feed the FDBW sparingly and use it to get the fish to eat vitamins.

It work great for me, because the fish absolutely love it.

Joe

saltydog
05-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I ordered some to try at the suggestion of some folks here. Can't wait to get it and see the results. If all goes well I will be ordering more in the near future. :)

YSS
05-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Am I crazy or these worms smell really good? As soon as I opened the bag to put some in the food container, my cat ran over to see what smelled so good. I think I remember reading someone's dog eathing the FDBW, so I definitely need to watch out my cat. But it smelled really good.