PDA

View Full Version : Wilds from Oliver @ Belowwater

lkleung007
04-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi Gang,

Just wanted to let you all know about my recent purchase of wild discus from Oliver Lucanus. After my recent move to a new house, I decided to start purchasing wilds again. I had purchased some nice wilds from Oliver in the past and knew that he was a great source. Oliver is always easy to deal with and talk to. After seeing the great wilds Dale and Ashay were bringing in, I decided to email Oliver about availability. He was able to send me a list and I decided to order several strains...including; Solomons, Cuipuea, Barra Mansa, Nhamunda Brilliants and Cobalts.

Well, I received my boxes yesterday from the airport and I was amazed by the quality of the wilds. As you all know the Solomons were huge with beautiful blue striations!!!! The rest of the shipment were equally as nice. The wilds were in the box for 30 hrs...due to lack of cargo service to BWI from Quebec...the fish had to travel from Canada to Miami then to Baltimore. Even though the fish were in their bags for 30 hrs, it looked like they were only in the bag for 3 hrs!!!! All the fish acclimated real well and were looking for food right away...I was amazed at how well they did with such a long journey.

I also received Oliver's new book about the Amazon. The book is full of beautiful pics and I can't wait to read through. Oliver was kind enough to autograph it for me.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to more shipments in the future. I know Oliver still has some wild discus left including the Solomons and Cuipueas...so get them before they are gone!! I sure hope Oliver does not wait another 2 years before importing wild discus to North America.

Thanks again Oliver,
Lester :)

Eddie
04-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Nice Lester, hope to see pictures when they are settled!

All the best,

Eddie

lkleung007
04-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey Eddie,

In addition to Oliver's wilds, I have a lots of other pics I need to post of wilds and domestics purchased from a number of sponsors here on Simply. I have to admit that I have been having too much fun caring for my discus rather than getting pics up. Unfortunately, my digital camera died and I just ordered another from Costco. Now if I could just figure out a quick and easy way to get pics on Simply?!

Regards, Lester

Eddie
04-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Hey Eddie,

In addition to Oliver's wilds, I have a lots of other pics I need to post of wilds and domestics purchased from a number of sponsors here on Simply. I have to admit that I have been having too much fun caring for my discus rather than getting pics up. Unfortunately, my digital camera died and I just ordered another from Costco. Now if I could just figure out a quick and easy way to get pics on Simply?!

Regards, Lester

Photobucket my friend, Photobucket. Just upload them into photobucket and then add the IMG code to a post here on Simply and Et Viola!

Take care,

Eddie

Ed13
05-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Was Miami the nearest port of entry? How "painful" was the process of importing without a license?

HOW AWESOME ARE THE SOLOMONS?:D:D:D

ashaysathe
05-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Nicely Done Lester. Oliver is indeed a knowledgeable resource and a great friend.
Post pictures when you get a chance and you should make it up here for our next NEDA meeting. Its pure fun.

lkleung007
05-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Ashay,

Thanks and I am really loving the wilds Oliver sent. The Solomons are just huge and robust...as you well know. Oliver has sent me beautiful wilds in the past and I just couldn't resist when I saw what you and Dale were importing. About 4-5 months ago, I got some nice RSG's from John and now I have two large tanks of wilds with Cuipueas, Solomons, Barra Mansa, Nhamundas, Santa Cruzs, Olindas, Madeiras, Manacapuruas and Rio Negro Heckels. Thank goodness the end of the wilds season is here. I will try and pics on Simply soon.

Hey Ed,

It was not bad at all getting the fish in from Canada. Fortunately, there is a USFW office right here at BWI airport. I called the USFW office and filled out the edec form on-line and paid a small fee...of course. Then once the fish came in, I went to AA cargo and took all the forms to US Customs office at the airport. Once customs clears the shipment with approval from USFW, I brought the forms back to AA Cargo to get the fish. The process at the airport took about an hour. My only problem is that Air Canada no longer send cargo shipments to Baltimore so Oliver had to send them via American Airline to Miami then to Baltimore. Again, the fish did extremely well with the 30 hr journey...Oliver really knows how to ship them...just remember Oliver sends fish to Asia all the time and they are in their bags up to 60 hrs!!!! In the end, it was well worth the trouble in getting such awesome wilds.

Regards, Lester :)

Ed13
05-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks Lester! Them big discus can get a man dreamimg!