PDA

View Full Version : Who has experience with Algaefix

daboo
05-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Algae is not a major problem in my tank but I would like to minimize what is there. I have some BBA on some leaves and hair algae on stone and some older plants. Excel has not really made a dent in it.

Has any had experience with Algaefix or Algae Destroyer? Does this work as far as knocking algae down? Will they kill anything else like beneficial bacteria?

srusso
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Algae is not a major problem in my tank but I would like to minimize what is there. I have some BBA on some leaves and hair algae on stone and some older plants. Excel has not really made a dent in it.

Has any had experience with Algaefix or Algae Destroyer? Does this work as far as knocking algae down? Will they kill anything else like beneficial bacteria?

Yeah it will kill all of it and more, if you have plants then I would not put in 1/4th the dose... if you have no plants I believe you can use it...

Wahter
05-03-2010, 09:25 PM

Check out David's results with Algae Destroyer (specifically post #23):
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76266&page=2

Use those chemicals carefully!

Walter

babakaty
05-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I've had good luck with Excel, but I found it important to turn off all the equipment and wait a few minutes for the currents to settle, then apply directly onto BBA with a pipette or dropper and let sit for 5 minutes before turning pumps back on. I did this daily for two weeks and got rid of a fairly obnoxious infestation. YMMV.

JL15219
05-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I've had good luck with Excel, but I found it important to turn off all the equipment and wait a few minutes for the currents to settle, then apply directly onto BBA with a pipette or dropper and let sit for 5 minutes before turning pumps back on. I did this daily for two weeks and got rid of a fairly obnoxious infestation. YMMV.

This is the same thing I did when I had a planted tank and it worked great....Do you run co2? Sometimes when there are fluctuations in co2 levels it tends to cause BBA....

babakaty
05-04-2010, 08:21 AM
This is the same thing I did when I had a planted tank and it worked great....Do you run co2? Sometimes when there are fluctuations in co2 levels it tends to cause BBA....

Yes, I have a pressurized CO2 system. Helps with both Carbon and Ph control.

daboo
05-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Thank you everyone. My suspicions were confirmed to stay away from these products. I'll try the spot treatment of Excel directly on algae to keep knocking it down when it does show up. As I said it is not a major a problem but You like to keep it to a minimum before it becomes a problem.

waters10
05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I think algae is a never ending battle! It's what flukes are for discus owners! ;) Check the disease section here, and see the number of people that have issues with flukes! Actually, I think algae is worse! I remember reading that someone said that even Amano gets algae on his tanks! :D

srusso
05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Thank you everyone. My suspicions were confirmed to stay away from these products. I'll try the spot treatment of Excel directly on algae to keep knocking it down when it does show up. As I said it is not a major a problem but You like to keep it to a minimum before it becomes a problem.

Yeah that stuff is really for a standard gold fish tank w/ plastic plants... I telll you man those fish go through hell in most homes! I believe that stuff kills plant life completely... all kinds... I believe it can really mess with the water too. If the tank has loads of algae say... b/c of high ammonia, it will flip everything into the next stage in the nitrogen cycle... so in this case everything from ammonia to nitrite... but I could be miss remembering...