PDA

View Full Version : Quiet one pump

tcfish
05-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Thought I would share my experience with the quiet one pump,I have to be fair and say I have only owned one of the new models that are out, have owned the old model[ matter of fact it was the only hobby pump at the time they made ]and it was I believe an 800 gph pump and lasted forever ,actually sold it with a tank.
I brought a 6000 model to run 11- 29 gallon tanks. I ran the pump inline never ran the pump dry or started and stopped continuously ,cleaned it, took good care of it.It ran good was a bit loud for a ''quiet one'' but that really is no concern to me as it is in my fish room.Lasted me almost 3 years then the problems began .We get quite a few storms here in Florida [yea the sunshine state]that are quite nasty and the power is prone to go off.Seems this pump would not like to turn back on after being turned off .I cleaned it did everything possible to make this not happen,but it happened time after time till one day it sat after not coming back on and I was not home to check it that it actually kinda melted the inside where the impeller goes put my finger in the hole and it is all lumpy like it melted .I have seen on the web that I am not the only one who has had these issues.
So I feel after 3 years and crapping out this is not such a good pump and after hearing other people with the same problem kinda validates my prognosis.
I would like to ask has anyone had good experience with these pumps AFTER a 3 year period.

tcfish
05-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Also a side note the ceramic stem the impeller rides on is a real touchy critter be careful when cleaning/taking it apart that you dont brake it,also they claim low watts but have a high amp rating I do belive my 6000 was 3.1 amps ouch!