PDA

View Full Version : Filter and Tank Help?

DiscusFreak123
05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi again everyone. I recently posted a thread to get some answers to my discus questions, and got fantastic responses. I love this place! Everyone is so helpful and nice, and not rude to you if you don't something. But, anyway, to the main part of this, In order to keep discus, I need a larger tank (I have a 30 gal right now). I just cant seem to decide on which filter to get, because I want to make sure that it's good for discus. So my filter options are the Fluval 05 Series, I actually have the 205 in my 29 now, and the Fluval FX5 External Canister Filter. Links are here: 05:http://www.petco.com/product/100126/Hagen-Fluval-05-Canister-Filters.aspx?CoreCat=FishFC_Filters
FX5: http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1177362
My possible tanks are:

46 Gal. Bow Front w/ Fluval 305 and Hydro Sponge
72 Gal Bow Front
55 Gal Rectangle
75 Gal Rectangle

I know that the 46 Gal is small, but do you think I'd be able to fit 5 discus in there? Also, I cannot decide for filters for the others, any help? Now I know that the FX5 would be the best, but it's a lot more expensive than the 05's so … Finally, If there are any brands that you prefer over these, please tell me and I will look them up.

fishorama
05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm not a fan of bowfronts, to me they distort the fish, it may be bifocal related. Many people love them. 75g is a very nice size, I wish they were more available used instead of 55g, the extra 6 inches really makes a difference for decor & gas exchange. & not too deep so easier to clean than a 90g, I need a stool for some tanks.

For filters I use mainly AquaClear hobs & Rena XP3s, 2 filters on each tank. I alternate cleaning the media & use tap water on established media, old tank water on newer set ups.

DonMD
05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
My only advice would be to get the biggest tank you can afford, space allowing. No matter how big you get it, you'll want a bigger one sooner or later:p.

Many forum members use two canister filters on their tanks as sort of a fail-safe backup, in case one breaks in the night or while they're at work, the other one will keep a viable biofilter going until the bad filter can be repaired.

If you use two canisters, you can get smaller ones. Good luck!

FishkeeperforLife
05-06-2010, 05:46 PM
AquaClear 70. :D