PDA

View Full Version : Marineland C-160 or 220 Canisters

kitykatfunkiehat
05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I want some more filtration on my 55, and I'm looking into canisters. I have loved every marineland product I've bought, and these two models are actually fairly cheap from Big Als. Any reviews?

I've never used a canister before, so you guys might need to be a little more detailed :D

Thanks!

Edit:
On second thought, the C160 pushes 160 gph, 220 pushes 220 gph, but the Magnum Canister 350 Pro system pushes 350 gph! And is cheaper than the 220. Whats the difference?!

waters10
05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I want some more filtration on my 55, and I'm looking into canisters. I have loved every marineland product I've bought, and these two models are actually fairly cheap from Big Als. Any reviews?

I've never used a canister before, so you guys might need to be a little more detailed :D

Thanks!

Edit:
On second thought, the C160 pushes 160 gph, 220 pushes 220 gph, but the Magnum Canister 350 Pro system pushes 350 gph! And is cheaper than the 220. Whats the difference?!
I don't have experience with that filter, but I'd look into the cheap sun sun filters on ebay.

A lot of people say they are exactly the same as the C marineland filters. Some speculates that it is even manufactured in the same place ... Check plantedtank.net for more info on that filter series.

Oh, and they are much cheaper!

kitykatfunkiehat
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Much cheaper than $115?! Seriously?

Eddie
05-06-2010, 11:53 PM
I'd go with the SunSun type also if you are stuck on that type of canister. I have a C-Series on the wife's tank and its decent, quiet and powerful. I've moved out of the canister arena as I find them to NOT even be worth the effort to clean. I feed fish way too much and the filter needs cleaning weekly, even with prefilters!

HTH

Eddie

kitykatfunkiehat
05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Ew, really? What filters do you use?

rickztahone
05-07-2010, 12:13 AM

Eddie uses only sponges i believe.

Eddie
05-07-2010, 12:33 AM

Eddie uses only sponges i believe.

Actually sponges in all tanks, but on my community tanks I also use Penguin 350s and 200s in addition to the sponges. ;)

kitykatfunkiehat
05-07-2010, 10:06 AM
hmm..Okay. I might just double up on a power filter then. I love what I've got and if I don't have to dabble with complex stuff...I won't! Thank god.
Sponges are kinda yucky to me..I have one and it gets smelly even with regular cleaning.

Eddie
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
hmm..Okay. I might just double up on a power filter then. I love what I've got and if I don't have to dabble with complex stuff...I won't! Thank god.
Sponges are kinda yucky to me..I have one and it gets smelly even with regular cleaning.

LOL, I actually like that smell....its the sweet smell of a cycled filter. The stronger the smell, the greater the bacteria colony. Almost as good as fresh coffee in the morning.....almost. :D

MatthewLP
05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
I have two C-360's on one 55 Gallon and 90 Gallon tank. I'm not a fan of HOB filters and they are open in area's of the room and I don't like the splashing effect and want somthing more quiet.

on my 55 gallon its been running for 6 months now and I have not had a lick of problems.

Its really personal choice as people swear by HOB and some like my self only like canister filters. i don't like el-cheapo filters but I don't have the sorce of income for the very best so marinland gives me that middle of the road that is effective like the big boys but does not come with the high price.

I clean my filters every other month faithfully. I add new pollishing filter pad, rinse out sponges, rings, bio-balls in old aquiarum water put it back togeather and off I go. I find that the labor in canisters are about 5 more min more than HOB. but I think the over all preformance, is still better than HOB. but thats just me.

To answer you question about the c-220 model. it says up to 55 gallons and its 220 GPH. I would consider this filter based on the type of fish you are wanting to keep. I have about 30 fish based on the 2 inch fish per gallon of water rule and I use the C-360 model. I clean it every other month and I could easily streach it to every 3 months if I wanted. but in a c-220 model I would say you need to stay on it once a month. they are "good" filters and I've been very pleased with it. I wish it had a spray bar and to ajust the flow rate a little. but other than that I've had no complaints.

kitykatfunkiehat
05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
LOL, I actually like that smell....its the sweet smell of a cycled filter. The stronger the smell, the greater the bacteria colony. Almost as good as fresh coffee in the morning.....almost.

Um...Eddie? Are you inhaling some type of other fumes thats messing with your sense of smell? Fresh coffee and fish turd are incomparible scents!

Eddie
05-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Um...Eddie? Are you inhaling some type of other fumes thats messing with your sense of smell? Fresh coffee and fish turd are incomparible scents!

LOL, fish turd.......it is an acquired smell. LOL :D

waters10
05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Is it against the rules to post ebay links? I had posted a link to the sunsun filter on ebay. It's about $60 shipped for filter rated for 60g. If you want to overfilter, it's maybe better to go with a higher model.

If you want to find it on ebay, just type canister filter and search. Sunsun are white filters that have the same basic shape as the marineland C series.

kitykatfunkiehat
05-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I'll research the sunsuns. I might just go with another penguin though, cause the 350 itself is rated for a 70g and pushes 330 gph, and I want more gallons flowing through my tank. BigAls sells them cheap and I'm pissed I didn't get the first one from there! I paid like, $70 for the filter I have now, and Bigals sells it for like, $35. Live and you learn, I suppose!

and Eddie, I think there may be a line in the acquired smells category...but at least fish turd is probably less potent than say...dog or cat poop!

Eddie
05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I'll research the sunsuns. I might just go with another penguin though, cause the 350 itself is rated for a 70g and pushes 330 gph, and I want more gallons flowing through my tank. BigAls sells them cheap and I'm pissed I didn't get the first one from there! I paid like, $70 for the filter I have now, and Bigals sells it for like, $35. Live and you learn, I suppose!

and Eddie, I think there may be a line in the acquired smells category...but at least fish turd is probably less potent than say...dog or cat poop!

Penguin 350s are decent IMO. After the Super Turbo Mod, there isn't a better HOB. :D

Oh yeah.....cat and dog stuff is NOT even close, thats not really a smell, more like a stench. :o

kitykatfunkiehat
05-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Call up Marineland and patent your Super Turbo Mod! Hey, off topic, but what is the kind of discus in your avatar?

Eddie
05-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Call up Marineland and patent your Super Turbo Mod! Hey, off topic, but what is the kind of discus in your avatar?

Its an Albino Red Diamond. A Red Diamond discus is almost a turq but the lines turn into spots. Its an old school type that isnt around much anymore. This fish is Albino version of that particular fish. ;)

Foxfire
05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I have two C-360's on one 55 Gallon and 90 Gallon tank. I'm not a fan of HOB filters and they are open in area's of the room and I don't like the splashing effect and want somthing more quiet.

on my 55 gallon its been running for 6 months now and I have not had a lick of problems.

Its really personal choice as people swear by HOB and some like my self only like canister filters. i don't like el-cheapo filters but I don't have the sorce of income for the very best so marinland gives me that middle of the road that is effective like the big boys but does not come with the high price.

I clean my filters every other month faithfully. I add new pollishing filter pad, rinse out sponges, rings, bio-balls in old aquiarum water put it back togeather and off I go. I find that the labor in canisters are about 5 more min more than HOB. but I think the over all preformance, is still better than HOB. but thats just me.

To answer you question about the c-220 model. it says up to 55 gallons and its 220 GPH. I would consider this filter based on the type of fish you are wanting to keep. I have about 30 fish based on the 2 inch fish per gallon of water rule and I use the C-360 model. I clean it every other month and I could easily streach it to every 3 months if I wanted. but in a c-220 model I would say you need to stay on it once a month. they are "good" filters and I've been very pleased with it. I wish it had a spray bar and to ajust the flow rate a little. but other than that I've had no complaints.

Bio-wheel HOB's have a few big advantages - they give the fish and bacteria far more oxygen, are trivial to clean and the bio-wheel ones with add-on glass wool cartiges provide a huge extra bio-surface. I can quickly add (just drop in while still running) other stuff when needed like carbon (in an extra cartige), peat and ammonia chips (only after a glass wool change if needed.) Also, when they are stopped, even for a few hours, the bio-culture gets all the O2 it needs and dons't fail nor steal the water's O2 on start up.

The noise is almost zero if the water level is kept high (my bubbles in the tank are louder!) I use a Marineland and these are very inexpensive on line.