PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Quarantine Tank

Slipperhead
05-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Newbie here...a few questions...

I'm just getting started and need to get organized and formulate a plan!

For a discus and tankmates QT, how large should the tank be? I have room for up to a 20 gallon tank nearby.

Should I set up the Q tank and cycle it separately or get a start from the water in my large tank?

Other than using for quarantine, what can I use this tank for?

Thanks in advance,

Garland in VA

machine77
05-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Your tank should be fine depending on how many fish and what size they are, i have a 29 gallon and i think thats what most use... You should cycle this tank seperately. Dont use anything from your man tank with your Qt, fish net, scrubber, syphon ect... I never cycle my QT, i start it up a few days befor i receive fish, so that the temp is stable is all.

I then do 50% water changes daily on this tank for at least 3 weeks, this will cycle the tank just fine and also keep your water clean! Doing daily 100% water changes is excesive to say the least and a waste of water.. You will im sure, as we all have, use this tank as a hospital tank, incase any of your fish get sick.. If that happen, just do the above.. If you ever get a sick fish, you cant cycle a tank overnight, thats why the above works great for me!! Just my 2 cents work.

Nolan