PDA

View Full Version : marineland steath heaters

discusjoe27
05-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I saw this over on planted tank, was caused by a steath heater. i always had problems with stealth heaters, and I'm glad i sold them, and went with ebo jagers.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18640&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1267314565

Kao510
05-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I have 6 of those heaters each in a 60 gallon and never had that problem, maybe its just the tank.

Double Up
05-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I've never had a problem with my stealth pros. All 4 of them.

JaredP
05-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Here was the original posting of that picture/link
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=77930&highlight=Stealth+heater

Read the whole thread, it includes Marine Lands restitution (More then VERY fair) and explanation of a bad lot series they are replacing.

nc0gnet0
05-07-2010, 10:30 PM
I have had two of these heaters go bad, one within a matter of a week (lost my first discus due to these heaters, before I found this forum). It seems older stealths are fine, but they change manufactorers (marineland doesn't make them) from an Italian firm to a chinese firm, then the problems began. I would not trust my discus to any stealth heater........

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224792

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224795

nc0gnet0
05-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Read the whole thread, it includes Marine Lands restitution (More then VERY fair) and explanation of a bad lot series they are replacing.

In all fairness marineland restitution was very fair to me as well, however, reports are as more and more heaters fail, they are becoming less willing to provide restitution.......

gwrace
05-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Here was the original posting of that picture/link
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=77930&highlight=Stealth+heater

I've had these heaters for several years and only recently had to replace one as it was putting a leakage voltage into the tank. About 10 volts. Marineland replaced it no questions asked with a newer model. Great service.

nc0gnet0
05-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I've had these heaters for several years and only recently had to replace one as it was putting a leakage voltage into the tank. About 10 volts. Marineland replaced it no questions asked with a newer model. Great service.

The thing is, the problem is not with the old heaters, it is with the newer models. Toyota's were some of the best cars around for many years, now even they have issues.............

Discus-n00b
05-08-2010, 02:08 AM
Yes, it seems to be their new version of the stealth that is having some problems. I switched to Jagers myself and havn't had a problem. But to Marineland's defense I did use stealths sucessfully for years before I went to Jagers.

alpine
05-08-2010, 09:52 AM
I have had the old stealths ones and the new ones and have had the usual heater problems . All heaters have problems . I am sticking with Marineland , their professional and excellent customer service . I really do like their products.

Roberto.

GoingDiscus
05-08-2010, 05:53 PM
I traded my old ones in as they were not maintaining temp, I had them set on max and they wouldnt get above 72. Marine land gave me replacements for both no questions asked. I gotta say their service is great and that to me means something.

diamond_discus
05-08-2010, 07:02 PM
All equipment would eventually have problem .. I used both Stealth and Jagar ... and I have bad heaters from either brand .. Stealth has life time warranty while Jagar has 3 years ..

nc0gnet0
05-09-2010, 12:16 AM
All equipment would eventually have problem .. I used both Stealth and Jagar ... and I have bad heaters from either brand .. Stealth has life time warranty while Jagar has 3 years ..

Agreed, however I have had two stealth pro's fail within two weeks of purchase, does't exactly inspire confidence.......

roundfishross
05-09-2010, 09:28 AM
when i set up my fish house i bought 15+ and six ot them exploded within the first two months,returned every one to dfs for credit

jacjoe
05-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I had two 250w heaters for about four years. Last weekend I noticed a slight drop in my tank temp. Reached in to raise the temp. and received a nice shock. Pulled out a volage meter to determine the source. Sure enough it was one of the stealths. Raised the temp on the one I thought was good and it was dead. Sent them back after contacting Marineland and waiting on replacements. The ones I returned were from Italy and I'm sure I will get Chinese product back.

I tried the stealth pros recently on another tank I set up because I liked the lighted dial feature. One of the two required pliers to adjust the dial one submerged. Contacted them about it as they were easily adjusted out of the box...dry. I told them that air bubbles leaked from around the dial knob when first submerged and I thought that it might be a seal issue. They could not explain but did send a relacement right out. It does seem to be more easily adjustable when wet. Only time will tell.

Joe

mmorris
05-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I had great luck with the Stealths for the last four years or so when I began using them and I swore by them. However, they all seem to have developed problems at the same time. Some stick on and some won't turn on. I watch my temperatures pretty carefully so it hasn't resulted in a serious problem. Marineland replaced them, but one of the new-model replacements blew out. I was using a new one in my water barrel and the water level fell below the heater during a wc. They are supposed to turn off when out of water but this one didn't. It blew a crack in the side when I began to refill the barrel, and the heater was incredibly hot. The whole upstairs smelled like burned...something.

diamond_discus
05-09-2010, 12:58 PM
While I like the light on the new Stealth Pro, this new design only goes up to 86 degree. The original Stealth would go to 92 .. This is the only reason why I would with Jagar if I were to buy new heater. But for the time being, I will continue using both heaters. I do have some bad Stealth heaters to be returned for replacement (new and old designs). I also has one bad Jagar to be returned for replacement as well ...

jacjoe
05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Just a little update. They received my two defective heaters on the 5th. I inquired on the 11th about them. Marineland does not expect to have 250w Stealths available until Aug./Sept. Maybe a slow boat?

In the meantime they have sent two Visitherm Deluxes in the place of the Stealths. When the Stealths become avaliable again, they will be sending me those two as well. I thought that this was a good compromise and I am pleased with Marineland's effort.:)

Joe

Willie
05-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Wish I had read this post earlier, but had an almost new Stealth Pro blow up in my tank as well. The heaters were less than a month old. I heard a loud bang, rang over and saw the 150W heater in three pieces. The head with the pretty light was covered with 4 - 5 bodies of Cories. Fortunately, I had no discus in the tank.

The tank is a 58 Gal Oceanic and was intact. So I was very lucky. After that, I replaced all my Stealth Pro's with old fashioned Visitherms.

I've been using the Stealths for quite a while and just bought the Pro version recently to try them out. Now I know, if it ain't broke...

Willie

dbfzurowski
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
they blow because they overheat out of the water?

underwaterforest
05-18-2010, 08:31 PM
I had one smoke and then pop open but I was fast enough to grab it before it did damage to the tank. Now I am using the Jagers and they seem to work well and I turn off all heaters at each WC since mine are above the WC line.

Willie
05-20-2010, 07:16 AM
they blow because they overheat out of the water?

No, mine blew up while fully submerged in a 58 gallon tank. There was no water change going on.

Willie :angry:

jacjoe
05-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Just a little update. They received my two defective heaters on the 5th. I inquired on the 11th about them. Marineland does not expect to have 250w Stealths available until Aug./Sept. Maybe a slow boat?

In the meantime they have sent two Visitherm Deluxes in the place of the Stealths. When the Stealths become avaliable again, they will be sending me those two as well. I thought that this was a good compromise and I am pleased with Marineland's effort.:)

Joe

Well, as of yesterday, I still have not received any replacement heaters. It has been two weeks since they received my defectives back. I contacted them again for a tracking number and not only have they not sent the Visitherms as promised, now they tell me that they are out of stock on the Visitherms too.:mad:

I withdraw both my previous applause and future support of this company.

Joe

GoingDiscus
05-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I think they are completely out of stock in the 250 watt models, the guy at the LFS said he wont be able to get any until near the end of July...