PDA

View Full Version : chloramine-chlorine questions

grassycreek
05-08-2010, 04:23 AM
I use my well water for all my fish,I have never tested for chloramine or chlorine.Are these commonly present in well water to the point where one has to test and treat before adding to the tank?I hate to sound so illinformed,as I have been keeping fish for a long time with no problems,but after getting my new shippment form Kenny--well you know how that can be!Also does the presence of chloramine or chlorine have anything to do with cyno bacteria(blue green algae)?What levels do i look for?With what do I treat my water ?Sorry for so many questions, i hope good answers will help others understand also. CAM

AirCapital
05-08-2010, 08:35 AM
you well water shoulldnt contain ant chlorine/chlorimines being thta it has never made it to a treatment plantand straight from the ground.
but it can harbor bad stuff being it is un treated and that could casue cinobacteria. myself I would want some sort of filtration on the incoming well water wither it be threw reverse osmosis or threw ozone strelization.

Jhhnn
05-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't have well water, but I've known lots of people over the years who do. Clorine and chloramines are added by municipal water suppliers to sterilize their product- shouldn't be any in your well water.

In general, well water safe for human consumption is safe for fish. Many county agricultural agents or whatever they're called wherever you live will test your water for free as a public health service. Check it out.

Shallow wells in agricultural areas are increasingly becoming contaminated by fertilizers and pesticides, so it's smart to have your well tested periodically. When you figure out who does testing in your area, they should be able to advise you as to how often to have testing done... and if your well needs to have any sort of sterilization equipment installed.