PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 405

srusso
05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I wanted to change the tubing for my fluvial 405 to clear nylon tubing. This stuff is really cheap at the hardware store and it's made for water anyway... Anyone ever do this? I like the idea that I could see if they are getting to dirty and need to be changed. Also would help hide them. any help is great, size etc...

nc0gnet0
05-11-2010, 12:22 AM
It's ok as long as you get the re-inforced stuff. Otherwise your going to need to get some nylon elbows to prevent kinking.

srusso
05-11-2010, 06:20 AM
I am guessing that is why it comes with that crapy ribbed tubing? Thanks, do they make clear PVC?

Chad Hughes
05-11-2010, 09:08 AM
I am guessing that is why it comes with that crapy ribbed tubing? Thanks, do they make clear PVC?

Yes. Run a google search for clear PVC. It's not cheap though!

Best wishes!

Harriett
05-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Another reason they tend to sell filter hoses that are colored is that clear hoses get covered inside with algae faster than a colored hose that doesn't let so much light through.
Best regards,
Harriett

Chad Hughes
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Another reason they tend to sell filter hoses that are colored is that clear hoses get covered inside with algae faster than a colored hose that doesn't let so much light through.
Best regards,
Harriett

Excellent point Harriett!

It's rather easy to clean the fluval hoses. Invest in a bottle brush. You can attach an exntension to the handle to be able to reach all the way through the hose. Anything will work (dowel rod, coat hanger, etc.). A couple of passes with a firm bottle prush and the tube is good as new!

Best wishes!