PDA

View Full Version : CO2 System

srusso
05-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey guys looking to get a full CO2 system, I have about $200 to spend on it... I have a 55gallon, hoping to upgrade to a 120gallon in the next 6months to a year, so it must be upgrade-able or better yet, scaled to fit both a 55 and 120... anyone shine some light in my direction?

Energy
05-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Hey guys looking to get a full CO2 system, I have about $200 to spend on it... I have a 55gallon, hoping to upgrade to a 120gallon in the next 6months to a year, so it must be upgrade-able or better yet, scaled to fit both a 55 and 120... anyone shine some light in my direction?

Aquarium plants.com has an electronic valve that works great- but the cylinder with the set-up will cost more than $200.

Build your own reactor to diffuse the Co-2- look it up on you tube- tons of different ways to get the Co-2 into the system.

I think milwaukee has a cheaper regulator but still works decent. Those would be the only two I recommend.

kush
05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
You can get an Aqua Medic inline CO2 reactor for about $85, maybe less, and a Milwaulkee regulator with solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter on eBay for about another $85, and a used tank, filled with CO2, at your local AirGas for $80 or so... whoops! that's $250. But it's what you want.

2wheelsx2
05-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't know about the Aquamedic, but the Milwaukee is a single stage so you WILL get end of tank dump, so unless you are willing and able to fill up as soon as you see a pressure change, you're better off looking elsewhere for a dual stage regulator. With CO2 it's one of those pay now or pay later things. The first time you experience a fish kill related to EOTD (especially for valuable fish), you're going to wish you had spent the money. Don't ask me how I know.

kush
05-13-2010, 07:10 PM
No, I've had the exact system I described above for six-plus years, my tank runs out about twice a year, and its never dumped. Did I mention it had a needle valve?

srusso
05-13-2010, 07:24 PM
You can get an Aqua Medic inline CO2 reactor for about $85, maybe less, and a Milwaulkee regulator with solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter on eBay for about another $85, and a used tank, filled with CO2, at your local AirGas for $80 or so... whoops! that's $250. But it's what you want.

Thanks so much! That's just what I wanted... I didn't know there were so many parts! Thanks, anyone looking to sell some of these parts, PM me. Of course I will put this in the "I'm looking for..."

srusso
05-13-2010, 07:25 PM
No, I've had the exact system I described above for six-plus years, my tank runs out about twice a year, and its never dumped. Did I mention it had a needle valve?

What size co2 tank? How does the needle valve help?

2wheelsx2
05-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Your setup runs contrary to multiple incidents on planted tanks. I personally have one single stage that I watch like a hawk and a dual stage that I run dry. Do a search on plantedtank.net on single stage regulators or Milwaukee and you'll see a list of incidents. As the pressure drops and it all becomes gas the single stage regulators will up the bubble count and now you have too much CO2. The only ways around it that I know of are with an LPR or with a big $ Ideal needle valve. I figure if I'm going to pay big bucks for a needle valve, I might as well go with a dual stage regulator to begin with. YMMV of course. I am by no means an expert. But with a dual stage I sleep better at night.

Here's an explanation on why a needle valve will not prevent an EOTD. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/103543-another-end-tank-dump-question.html

2wheelsx2
05-13-2010, 07:27 PM
What size co2 tank? How does the needle valve help?

You must run a needle valve to regulate the CO2 output. Every setup must have a needle valve or you cannot regulate the output.

Frankr409
05-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Your setup runs contrary to multiple incidents on planted tanks. I personally have one single stage that I watch like a hawk and a dual stage that I run dry. Do a search on plantedtank.net on single stage regulators or Milwaukee and you'll see a list of incidents. As the pressure drops and it all becomes gas the single stage regulators will up the bubble count and now you have too much CO2. The only ways around it that I know of are with an LPR or with a big $ Ideal needle valve. I figure if I'm going to pay big bucks for a needle valve, I might as well go with a dual stage regulator to begin with. YMMV of course. I am by no means an expert. But with a dual stage I sleep better at night.

Here's an explanation on why a needle valve will not prevent an EOTD. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/103543-another-end-tank-dump-question.html

For this reason you want to add a PH regulator that shuts off the solenoid on the CO2 source, period, end of story.

kush
05-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Here's an explanation on why a needle valve will not prevent an EOTD...

And, yet, it does.

2wheelsx2
05-13-2010, 10:40 PM
And, yet, it does.

Sure, and once in a while, people win the Powerball. I'm not trying to argue your case, I'm just laying out the physics for the OP. This is the same as someone who raises juvie discus in a planted tank and only feeds twice a day. Can it be done? Of course it can. But I leave the decision up to the OP after all the facts are known.

And I agree with Frankr409, get the pH monitor and you won't have worry about this in a big tank with one CO2 tank with a single solenoid. Perfect solution. Unfortunately it adds cost and and may exceed the OP's budget. Of course, a fancier regulator will probably exceed the budget also.

Edit: I've said my piece and have no more input, so please don't take this as an argument, that wasn't my intent.

yikesjason
05-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Dual stage vs single stage with a good needle valve are fitting words on plant forums. Logic says a needle valve can not prevent ETD, but people swear it does.

Normally I recommend a cornelius regulator with a fabco needle valve. But with the high value of discus, I would play it safe and go with a dual stage. You can find 2 stage inert gas regulators for a good price on ebay. Switch the tank connection to CGA 320 to make it compatible with co2 if it isn't already. Add a clippard solenoid, fabco needle valve, and clippard check valve. Silicon or co2 proof hose, some type of bubble counter, and what ever type of diffuser you like. I just use a ceramic disc diffuser located below the intake of a power head. It works great for me in my 90 gal and my 125 before.

Keep asking questions and you will be fine.