PDA

View Full Version : Koi

Disgirl
05-14-2010, 08:42 AM
How many of you discus keepers also have Koi in a pond in your yard? I do and David Rose does also. I have 12 koi, 8 are butterfly koi and 4 are standard koi. Got them all at 3-4" each and they are now mostly 10 yrs old, and average 18" or more. They live in my 2000 gal pond right next to our back screened porch where we can sit and eat, relax and listen to the waterfall and watch fish! Here are pics. The smaller pond has just goldfish and live plants and frogs and sometimes a snake, unfortunately. I will try to get some better pics up soon.
Barb:)

brewmaster15
05-14-2010, 09:02 AM
I Had Koi for years here...up until last year... I got cleaned out by a great egret.:( I don't fault the bird...It was doing what it was designed to do.. It my fault ..I never had the problem and never took the steps to prevent it.

Thinking I may convert the pond to Lily plants,Bladder worts , frogs and mosquito fish:)

The irony is I'll drive hundred to thousands of miles to photo Heron and Egrets and I couldn't get one pic of this fellow at all!:(

-al

nc0gnet0
05-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I have a 1000 gallon pond and a 5000 gallon pond under construction. Both Butterfly (longfin) and regular Koi. It's a bit of a long story, but Koi I what brought me to keeping discus....