PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon reef tank with LEDS.

MSD
05-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I love my reef tank and started using Pacific Sun LED's on it and love the bright color. I'm hoping to get great growth out of it oo.

brewmaster15
05-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Mark,
I didn't know you had a reef tank. Be great to see some pics. I've been bouncing back and forth on the idea of starting up another Marine tank....I miss some of the fish I used to keep... Nasotangs and Lion Fish were my favorites.

-al

Lukan
05-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Nice to see that i'm not alone. I find Reeftank to be easier than Discus...LOL....... I'm a big tang fan as well.....

Discus-n00b
05-14-2010, 03:03 PM
I was toying with the idea of getting a real nice bigger reef tank (still am sort of...that or planted) and LEDs are very appealing. Wanted to DIY a fixture. This was before the discus bug hit me hard again haha.

Any pics of your tank Mark?

nc0gnet0
05-15-2010, 08:25 AM
I have been toying with the idea of a DIY LED lighting system myself. There's a good read over here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587273

Pretty in depth stuff, but you will walk away with a much better understanding of what your up against.

Discus-n00b
05-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah i've seen that, good thread. It really doesn't sound that difficult honestly, just will really test your diy skills lol.

Ed13
05-15-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm def setting up another SW tank going with DIY LED just need the funds:mad::o for everything so it'll be a LONG time waiting. Haven't decided size and theme and wether a large FOWLR would be up too ;)

Mark,
I didn't know you had a reef tank. Be great to see some pics. I've been bouncing back and forth on the idea of starting up another Marine tank....I miss some of the fish I used to keep... Nasotangs and Lion Fish were my favorites.

-al
Al, I could hook you up with "Atlantic/Caribbean" volitan lionfish! ;) (j/k can't ship them:p)They are EVERYWHERE here and in all sizes.

MSD
05-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Yes Al, I have been a reefer on and off for 20 years. People think discus keeping is expensive, a coral reef tank and associated equipment is very expensive as well. I have switched to LED's for lighting because of the excessive heat of metal halide lighting. Thing is you do need specialized equipment to be sucessful in this hobby. I will take some pics Al, this weekend we had my daughter's 13th birthday party so there was no time for pictures, but I'll catch-up this week. I have KR-92 LEDs right now, but have bought a set of Pacific Sun Leds, great control system and so bright its like looking at the sun, but its half the power and less then half the heat of Metal Halides. I use live rock and a protein skimmer along with a refugium for nutrient removal. Anyway, I will take pic;s this week and love my reef tank very much.

swami
07-03-2010, 07:56 AM
I have also been thinking of setting up a reef tank,but have been pondering for over 2 years now. still researching, any web site you can reccomend? I know that with a reef tank water changes are almost nil, what are your thoughts about this?

Sharaz.

roclement
07-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Mark,

I am friends with the importer for Pacific Sun so if you ever have any issues, feel free to contact me and I will try to help.

I am running t-5's on my reef with led's from icecap for moonlights, I love my t'5 set-up but will consider LED in the future as well as plasma.

Rodrigo

MSD
07-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks Rod, looks like plasma will be the wave of the future but love the LEDs for right now, so cool in the summer the tank temp does not rise. I guess you mean Rafal? he seems like a good guy and is always helpful with any questions I have.

Discus-n00b
07-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I have also been thinking of setting up a reef tank,but have been pondering for over 2 years now. still researching, any web site you can reccomend? I know that with a reef tank water changes are almost nil, what are your thoughts about this?

Sharaz.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php?s=
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/

2 very good sites for reef information. Reefcentral tends to take on the more in depth, larger system approach. Nanoreef is what it says, all about nanos. But still very good reefing info on both.

roclement
07-05-2010, 04:19 PM
yup! Rafal it is, he is a good guy, good intentioned as well.

Rodrigo

Tito
07-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I love this thread - the name dropping and connection thing is awesome.

Sorry guys I had to do it.

I always comment on that no matter what the forum - it's a pet peave of mine.

roclement
07-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey if any of us has connections that can help the other...better for everyone! Now I think we should start posting some pictures here of our tanks!!!

Rodrigo

MSD
07-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Name dropping?? Not one person om here be Rod and I know him, and I bought my LEDs from him. Where's the beef, dude???