PDA

View Full Version : Raising juvies in a planted tank?

chhabi19
05-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Has anyone succeeded raising juvies in a planted tank (high plant mass+CO2+Ferts+High light) ?

I am asking this because I lost 2 juvies (~2 in each) bought from LFS. Both of them died despite good water parameters (and weekly water change). My larger discus (4-5 in) is doing good. Trying to pin point the root cause.

Any experiences?

Thanks.

Chad Hughes
05-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Has anyone succeeded raising juvies in a planted tank (high plant mass+CO2+Ferts+High light) ?

I am asking this because I lost 2 juvies (~2 in each) bought from LFS. Both of them died despite good water parameters (and weekly water change). My larger discus (4-5 in) is doing good. Trying to pin point the root cause.

Any experiences?

Thanks.

I've raised juvies in planted tanks for years. All depends on how many fish, how much you feed, etc. Any more details?

ExReefer
05-14-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm doing it now. BB is easier, but it can be done in a planted tank as well. Lots of food and clean water grow healthy discus.

I would suggest a shallow sand bed with plants mainly located in the background. This allows you to siphon the sand in middle and front portion of the tank. Good light, fertz, and CO2 will make your plants grow even with a shallow sand depth.

chhabi19
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I had 3 discus and fed them 3 times a day (different foods). Other fish are in my signature.

I've raised juvies in planted tanks for years. All depends on how many fish, how much you feed, etc. Any more details?

clogwood
05-17-2010, 02:33 PM
I got a few 3 inch discus a while back and was able to grow them out in a ninety gallon heavily planted tank with co2 and ferts added. Four total,one is a little stunted but that might not be the fault of its surroundings.Started with very good stock from a seller on this site which made a difference as I have never had success with lfs discus,ever

willbldrco
05-20-2010, 03:24 AM
I'd suspect the LFS stock, frankly. :(

But I'm curious if you can elaborate on your water conditions. Hardness, pH, and temp, particularly.
Regards,

Will

milnek
05-20-2010, 11:06 PM
When did you put in your discus into planted tank? Is the tank newly setup? Did you quarantine your new purchase?

clogwood
05-23-2010, 10:27 AM
As far as my experience I put mine into a ninety that was established for five years and was heavily planted. The plants keep the nitrates down to about 5 to 7 even with heavy feeding.PH is 7 and the nitrates have risen to about 10 to 12 after adding the discus and increasing the feeding regime.

Foxfire
05-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm doing it now. BB is easier, but it can be done in a planted tank as well. Lots of food and clean water grow healthy discus.

I would suggest a shallow sand bed with plants mainly located in the background. This allows you to siphon the sand in middle and front portion of the tank. Good light, fertz, and CO2 will make your plants grow even with a shallow sand depth.

Exactly what I am doing and so far, working very well.

As for the post:

Many new fish from the LFS drop dead after a week to three for a number of reasons, none which you can be sure. As in all things, S&%# happens! Don't let it get to you and don't jump the gun and blindly med. If you need to try anything, high temp and salt (always with new discus anyway in Q-tank.)